Beer and Baseball

Portland Travel Blog

Two items that will always make the perfect combination beer and baseball.  My brother Ralph decided to come up to Maine for an overnight visit and since he was taking the Amtrak Down Easter right into Portland we decided we had planty of time to do a small beer adventure and time to catch a Sea Dogs game over at Hadlock Field.

Our first stop was the Allagash Brewing Company.  I have seen thier beer in some random places and I have heard great things but I have never gotten around to trying them so why not try them for free on a free brewery tour.  I reserved tickets for out tour online and we arrived plenty early to check out the retail store and poke around before getting started.  The guide came over to all of us and pured us each a generous serving of four different beers Allagash was currently brewing and all four were delicious in fact I bought two of them on my way out of the tour.

Next we headed over the the Sea Dog Brewing Company in South portland.  There are several locations as they are quite a bit larger than Allagash.  We both started off wih Blue Paw which is an ecellent beer and when we finished our meal we tipped the waiter and headed off to kill some time before the game started.

aving no time for a third brewery tour we headed for Toys R Us and finally over to the Maine Mall across the street to kill a few hours.  We didnt kill a lot of time but I found a bathing suit I wanted which I will be coming back for at some point.

When we left the mall we decided to just head to Hadlock field and drink beer until the game started.  I paid less than $20 for both of our tickets and we were in the second row just off to the left of home plate a good heckling vantage point.  It was a little on the cold side that night so we headed into the gift shop to buy gloves and a woven blanket and even that wasnt keeping me warm, and my borhter who was dressed warmer than I was wasnt doing much better so we decided to leave the game in the 5th inning and head for home.

All in all not a bad day spent in Maine's largest city.

Portland Sights & Attractions review
Beer Adventure
My brother Ralph came up to Maine for a quick visit and we decided to do a beer and baseball adventure. The first stop was Allagash Brewing Company. … read entire review
Portland Sights & Attractions review
Hadlock Field
Hadlock Field is home to the Portland Sea Dogs, for those baseball fans out there yes they are a minor league team for the Boston Red Sox. Located … read entire review
photo by: mrgishi