Parting Of The Ways

London Travel Blog

Gibraltar Main Street early morning

So our tip was drawing to an enr :-( . Got up and headed for the airport for 9am and checked in. Not the biggest of airports, and depite a queue already building up, and stretching across the concourse, the check in never opened until exactly the specified time. Went through to the departures and their is a last chance 'Duty Free' shop, a small newsagent that sold drinks and sweets, and there was a bar as well, but the sun still wasn't over the yardarm so I didn't bother.

Plane was delayed on the ground for half an hour due to Spanish air traffic congestion, and it was great taking off along the tunway to the north and over the sea and flying round Gibraltar, to join the air traffic procession from the mainland at Malaga.

A relatively dull 3 hours on board, before we landed at Gatwick North Terminal.

Think the travel agents could have chosen a more inspiring name :-D
 Here we were to part. I'd already arranged to bail to join my mates in London and go to the football., Bid farewell to the wife and kids, as they waited for an onward connection to Glasgow and I took the shuttle train to the South Terminal, where  the rail station is situated,  and caught the Gatwick Express into London Victoria. I was always going to be pushing it to make the game on the Saturday, and the delay had killed off any hope of that. Phoned my mates,that  were down from Glasgow, and they were only staying at the tournament for the first game, so I arranged to meet them outside Buckingham Palace. They were going for a photo opportunity with the Supporters Club Flag.
Gibraltar Airpos

Went for a couple of beers and headed out to Newbury to meet my other mate, who lives there and was putting me up for the weekend. Through my rucksack in my room and we headed into town to the pub. He's stayed down there for years now, but this was the first time I had gone to Newbury. It's a nice market type town, and even although it was a Saturday the place was fairly quiet. Started in The King Charles Tavern, before moving onto a pub beside the canal. ended the night going for a curry on the way up the road.

We have been mates since we started secondary school together, so he is the same age as me, so I was a bit surprised that all he had in the house for eating, on Sunday morning, was 8 of the small Kellogs Variety Cereal boxes.

Take Off Rolling,Rolling,Rolling
Obviously he could tell I didn't find this at all appetising, so we headed into the centre of Newbury and went to Caffe Nero and had a Full English breakfast.

On the phone to the other boys and we we arranged to meet at a pub, up by the Emirates, Stadium called The Ashburton. Train from Newbury took us into Paddington Station, and here we switched onto the Underground taking the Circle Line and then the Piccadilly and got off at Arsenal station. Walked round the ground down to holloway Road and met the boys in the pub, before slitting from them ,as we had tickets for a different section.

Impressed with the stadium,on my  first visit to The Emirates, alas the footbal wasn't for us, going 2-0 down inside 10 minutes and ending in a 3-0 defeat. No problem gettin back onto the Underground and me and my mate headed for Wehterspoons in Victoria Station to catch up with the rest again.

Flying Above The Port
Had a few pints and then headed back to Newbury with my mate.

He was working next morning, and left me sleeping, and I put the key back through the letterbox on leaving.  Phoned the boys and arranged to meet them in East Croydon, which is on the way out to Gatwick, as they were flying home from there as well. Not much to croydon, apart from the big immigration office, but for anyone arriving into Gatwick it might be worth getting off at East Croydon where the Tramlink runs from outside the station to the likes of Wimbledon, saving the journey into Central London.

We all headed for Gatwick on the train, and had time to grab a meal before checking in. Flight was on time and I finally arrived back in Glasgow at 9pm on the Monday night, and the wife was even decent enough to come and pick me up :-)

Gibraltar Main Street early morning
Think the travel agents could have…
Think the travel agents could hav…
Take Off
Pub we met up in
Pub we met up in
HM The Queen In Too
HM The Queen In Too
Game On, well for 10 minutes at le…
Game On, well for 10 minutes at l…
Boys Back In Victoria Station