First week

Ao Luk Travel Blog

Sawaade ka!

I have spent my first week at the GVI base camp in Ao Luk am im absolutely loving it!

Starting teaching voluntarily on Monday. I am at 4 different schools in a week. Morning starts by getting picked up at 8am by the headmaster and driven out to the school which ranges from about 10 to 20mins drive. Lessons start at 9 and finish at 3 or 4. Nobody speaks any english which was a bit worrying at first, lots of hand movements going on! The schools are very basic but everyone, staff and pupils, are very nice and welcoming! Im teaching p.1 to p.6 Was very nervous after knowing id be taking the classes on my own so alot of lesson planning has to be done beforehand! So far I have covered the alphabet, colours, numbers, shapes, body parts and feelings! I have to make my own resources - flashcards, games, songs, etc. The kids are adorable and very willing to learn! Also very polite and wellbehaved (most of the time.) Love to sing and play games so I have to be constantly energised! The food at schools is not great, flys swarming it! Always rice and meat dishes, I have become veggie since being out here its rice and green beans for me! The hygene is not good no toilet paper, flush, soap, towel just a hole - lovely! However I am here to teach and thats what I love the best :)

I am staying in Ao Luk which is about 30mins away from the nearest town. Basic but beautiful. Trees everywhere and the odd house (shack) in between. My house is very nice I am sharing a small room with 8 other people but everyone comes and go's at different times. No air con but fans everywhere. No hot water, Im loving cold showers. Thai style bath (Tab of water and bucket that u use to throw water over you). There is an outdoor solar power shower - very tropical :)

The people are great and the food at camp is lovely very pet (spicy.) We have had thai cooking lessons i'll be an expert soon!

Tomorrow is Saturday so im off kayaking and then heading into Krabi town with a couple of the girls i've met going dancing - its been a hard week I cant wait!

Write again soon!