Clinic Day #2

Chichicastenango Travel Blog

on the way to Mactzul 2

Today my group went to Mactzul Segundo. Small little village about 35-40 minutes outside of Chichi. The bus ride there was very interesting. Winding, winding roads, too far at one point and had to go backwards down a steep hill, and finally to the school and church where we were setting up. Whew! Part of the group stayed at the school doing check-ups on the kids, teaching them about respect, playing, etc. The rest of us went to set up another clinic up the hill at the church. These set up conditions were less than ideal. Dirt floors, poor lighting (they had blue tarps covering most of the windows), and pretty gnarly outhouses.

We got to work with two of the Guatemalan dentists on staff with HTI, Jessica and David. They are a lot of fun.

Brad and dad
We ended up seeing about 95 patients throughout the day. Kids and adults. Brave ones, and not so brave ones. The moment that had the most impact on me was when my dad had a 30ish year old woman come and had asked him to pull her very last tooth. She had only ONE tooth in her head, and it was rotten and needed to come out. It was just something I wasn't expecting. So young, but no more teeth. Apparently a lot of them end up getting dentures later in life, but I would still feel so naken with ZERO teeth. And the bad part was, the last one was a wisdom tooth. I could tell she was in a great amount of pain while getting that one removed. She was our last patient of the day, and she just laid there for a few minutes after the proceedure was finished. Maybe in pain, possibly contemplating the fact that she had no teeth left, or maybe both. The thing about the Mayans is that even after yanking multiple teeth out, they are still so very grateful for you. I guess they are in such pain, they will go through whatever they have to to get them out.

A couple of the women in the village made us lunch. It was some sort of pasta/rice concoction and tamales of course. I sure do love their tamales! The kids that were running around were truly adorable and I just wanted to pack a couple of them in my carry-on and take them home. Wonderful day!

me and Kim... assistants
me and Kim... assistants
make-shift dental chairs
make-shift dental chairs
Melissa our fun translator :)
Melissa our fun translator :)
working
on the bus ride to Mactzul 2
on the bus ride to Mactzul 2
Mario and Brad
Mario and Brad
bus going backward down the hill..…
bus going backward down the hill.…
goats