Get your act together, British Airways

Lisbon Travel Blog

We did an online check-in for British Airways last night and it said on the Boarding Pass that bag-drop opens at 5am.  So we thought we'd be able to drop our bags after breakfast then head into the city for a few hours and return to the airport for boarding the evening flight.

Unfortunately when we got to the airport we were told that bags can only be accepted 2 hours prior.  So there goes our day of doing stuff in London ... not that we had anything specific in mind.  The alternative was to pay a hefty GBP8 to store each of our two pieces of luggage.

Having worked with an airline and at an airport before, I understand the logic and logistics ... but it does say on the boarding pass that bag drop opens at 5am.  There are airlines and airports that offer an early check-in service (because they try a bit harder).  The check-in lady said "Yes, I know ... I've told them many times to fix the information on the boarding pass ... the information there is definitely wrong".

Fortunately we ran into some Air New Zealand London-based crew who offered us their briefing room as a refuge for a few hours.

Arriving in Portugal I found it strange to be amongst people who had the names Fernandez, Nunes or Pereira that weren't Indian.  Growing up in Malaysia, people with Portuguese names were always 100% Indian in appearance ... they are descended from the Portuguese either locally or from South India.

photo by: Johnpro