From Belgium to Perth & Melbourne

Great Ocean Road Travel Blog

I played this MMO and met some cool people mostly from Netherlands/Belgium. One of my friends from Belgium decided to visit his Aussie friends from both ends of Australia. Dave went to Perth to visit Joyce and hung out with her & her bf for a week before flying to the east coast to meet up with me. We had a total blast, introduced him to all my friends & hung out a few times after work. I asked him what he wanted to see more, Phillip Island or the GOR... he chose the GOR. Perfect choice too since I've never been there! There were 4 of us who were meant to go but one friend cancelled at the last minute so only 3 of us went. I didn't drive back then so we opted to take a tour & we decided to go with Go West tours, at that time the tour costs $90pp (incl lunch).

We were picked up from the city at 7:30 and by 8, we were on our way to the southwest coast to begin our journey. We met a solo traveller, Fabian who was from Germany. He went on a holiday before he starts his medical internship - he's going to be a doctor!!! Pretty cool guy (not to mention cute) - Dave & Fabian spoke Deutsch to each other (quite interesting to listen to). Our tour group consisted of 3 locals (me, my friend & this local travel agent) and the rest were tourists/backpackers from around the world - mostly young people (Contiki tour age range). LOL Our tour guide was also young and very funny.

First stop was Bell's Beach at Torquay where we had our morning tea break provided by the tour. Lunch was at Lorne, the restaurant chosen must have a deal with various tour companies because upon arrival, there were other tour groups there too.

We had 1 hour to ourselves in Lorne so after lunc, we explored the area, took photos and had the customary ice cream.

Apollo Bay was the next stop and also the Otways before heading to Port Campbell to see the highlight of the tour, The 12 Apostles.

We also went to see the "London bridge" (the "bridge"  is no longer there, it finally crumbled a year or two ago) - it has a very interesting trivia related to that bridge, it's about this cheating couple. Hahaha I'd tell the story but I'm too lazy. We also went to see the Loch Ard Gorge - the site of all the shipwreaks.

This tour was the beginning of my love for visiting the GOR.

Torquay
Torquay
Drive on the left in Australia!
Drive on the left in Australia!
The London Bridge