Fee Free Day, and Rain Free Day!

Acadia National Park Travel Blog

With all the rain we have had this year it has been very hard to do things like the Cadilac Mountain Summit.  For those who do not know Cadilac Mountain is the first place to see the sun rise in the United States, as well as the tallest mountain on the East Coast.  This is just the coast line I am talking about once you move inland they are higher mountains.  Our original plan was to visit here on Saturday but it rained, luckiliy for us Sunday turned out to be beautiful.  We headed out at about 7:30-8:00am from our home in Stockton Springs making one stop to fuel up and another to grab some items for a picnic lunch.  It is only a short drive to Acadia N.P. from where we live, and an even shorter boat ride too bad we dont have one.
  Once we arrived in the park we climbed the 52 steps to the Visitors Center so I could get my passport book stamped, and get some information on the park for my Maine Project, and then we headed back to the car and drove to Cadilac Mountain.  We were able to find a pretty good parking spot in front of the trail head so all we had to do was cross the road and we were there!  I stopped practically every two feet to take a picture of the fog over the ocean, it was a very wierd sight.  The fog looked like smooth waves over the islands below, I have never seen fog do that it was really cool to see.  We walked around the trail for awhile and finally made it to the summit, where i took more pictures of fog and the surrounding landscape.  If there were not another mountain in the way I could have seen my town from there.  After hanging out at the top for awhile we headed back to the car and drove around the loop road for awhile stopping at random pullouts so I could take pictures.  Finally after some debate as to where it is we found Thunder Hole.  Even though we were there at the wrong time for it to have high activity, I still got some good footage and digital stills.  After Thunder Hole we decided to have lunch and stopped just down the road from Otter Point to have our salads and decide what to do next.  We decided on Bar Harbor so we finished our lunch and headed out.
diisha392 says:
Yay for waived fees! I make sure to stamp my passport at the parks I visit; it also makes me stop by the Visitor Center where I can find out about special events and interesting facts.
Posted on: Jul 20, 2009