Our trip down The Mother Road

Arcadia Travel Blog

Inside Pops

We cruised north on I-44 (Historic Route 66), which became I-35 (still Historic Route 66), and then turned west on 2nd Street (Real & Current Route 66). I few miles later a large pop bottle appeared on the horizon. Pops, which was our destination, is not named for the paternal family figure. Pops is named for the 500 different kinds of bottled soda pop that they sell.

We pulled into the restaurant and got our first impression. It looked to me like a 1950’s entrepreneur time traveled to the 21st century and build his dream restaurant. In the red corner, wearing a 66 foot pop bottle, residing on Route 66, and sporting a diner theme is 1955.

Pops shelves and bottles
In the blue corner, wearing modern architecture, glass walls, and flat screen TV is 2009. Margo and I thought it works.

Pops is predominately a restaurant serving diner style food. It also in true classic Route 66 fashion, caters to the car bound traveler. Out front is a six station fuel island and inside is a convenience store. But, the big draw to Pops is 500 different kinds of bottled soda pop. They have modern stuff like the various flavors of AMP, Full Throttle, and Monster Energy drinks. They have to classics; Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, ect. They have classics with a twist; Dr Pepper from Dublin, Ireland and Coca Cola from Mexico (they both still use real sugar, instead of HF corn syrup). They have stuff that you probably thought was long gone.

Pops
Bubble Up, RC Cola, and Nehi. They have several of the JONES line of sodas, with their non-traditional flavors like Bubble Gum and Green Apple. The have about 100 different kinds of Root Beers, Birch Beers, and Sarsaparillas. And they have stuff you just have to wonder about. Things like Kitty Piddle, Dog Drool, and Bug Barf, all made by Avery. And if none of that is to your liking, Pops has their own bottled water.

We had to wait about 10-15 minutes to be seated, because even on an early Wednesday night, Pops was hopping. We spent our time checking out the soda for sale in the glass doored coolers, and the soda for decorating, that lined the glass walls. Those bottles are glued to glass shelves, set in front of the glass walls. The bottles are arranged by color to form very eye catching displays.

We were seated and ordered our fare.

The 66 ft tall Pop Bottle
Margo had chicken fingers and I got a hamburger. The waiter missed part of Margo’s order and got side tracked fixing it. But, as busy as they were, it wasn’t too hard to forgive. The food was good. Nothing great, but we had no complaints. We did not order a bottled soda with our meal. Those are $1.99 a bottle. The fountain drinks are $1.75 per, and come with unlimited refills. We finished our dinner, paid for it, and headed out into the store.

Just because we skipped a bottled soda with dinner does not mean we would be ignoring them. Margo and I decided to pick up a few for ourselves and a few for the people back home. We got a couple different kinds of Nehi, Bubble Up, a couple of different kinds of Root Beer, a Ginger Ale, a couple of Orange Cream Sodas, and a Cream Soda. In all we got 12 bottles. Even with a $40 price tag, we were still happy.

We weren’t about to leave without taking a picture of the pop bottle outside.

Pops at Sundown
It is made of large metal rings attached to a center post. The center post also serves as the straw for the bottle. Imbedded in the metal rings is some form of lighting, so it should look great at night as well. The sun was setting, but wouldn’t be down for at least another couple of hours, so we had to settle for the day version. Margo and I took about 10 different pictures of the bottle trying to get a good one. I took a few of the restaurant and Margo got a good shot of the shelves.

As we were leaving OKC in the morning, and we were at a gas station, I filled the SUV before we left. We had one more, previously unscheduled, stop. Once we turned onto Route 66 and saw a sign for Arcadia, we also saw a sign telling us that the Round Barn of Arcadia was just down the road. Future signs told that the Round Barn was a traditional Route 66 landmark.

The Round Bard
Now, I ask you, how could we come so close and not see an honest to goodness piece of Mother Road history? We couldn’t. It was just two minutes down the highway and as impossible to miss as Pops 66 foot icon.

We pulled to side of the road and parked. I’m not sure if they have tours or an admission. I would guess they do, but it was after 7 PM and we didn’t see any other cars around. So we just took a few pictures and wondered how and why it was here. I haven’t gotten those questions answered. But, I did find out it has been around for over 100 years, even before Route 66.

We thought about heading back to the Oklahoma City Memorial, to see the Field of Empty Chairs at night. They are lit up, and it supposed to be something to see. But after two major museums, Pops restaurant, and the Round Barn, we were tired. We drove back to our hotel and called it a day.

Pops glass wall
Pops' glass wall
The Round Barn
The Round Barn
Historical Marker about Route 66
Historical Marker about Route 66
The 66 ft Pop Bottle
See, I told you it was the Round B…
See, I told you it was the Round …
Pops. Very modern design
Pops. Very modern design
Arcadia Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
500 different bottled Soda Pop!
Pops defies pigeon-holing. It is a 50’s themed diner style restaurant with decent diner food. It is a convenience store, in which you can get gas an… read entire review
Arcadia