A Huge Cross in the Middle of Nowhere

Groom Travel Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The plan was to be on the road by 8 AM, and drive four hours. By Noon we would be in Oklahoma City. We would spend the afternoon touring Bricktown, seeing the shops, eating at Hooters, and riding the canal boats.

We were on the road more like 8:30 AM, after first stopping at Aunt Murrel’s to tell everyone good bye. We would be back on Thursday night, but we still needed to say good bye. We had no intention of stopping more than once between Amarillo and OKC.

Cross and Church
We had filled up and should be able to make it easily on a single tank. One stop along the way to stretch our legs should be fine.

Our plan lasted for about 40 minutes.  After 40 minutes we were in the middle of the Texan Panhandle. Lots of nothing for miles around. But then, we spied a water tower that looked like it was about to fall over. One leg appeared to be sunk into the ground, and was challenging Sir Isaac Newton to a death match. I was sure that soon the seemingly abandoned water tower would be lying on the ground, awaiting the junk man.

As it turns out, this is the famous Leaning Tower of Texas. A water tower purposefully built to lean. It was built after I-40 had bypassed Groom, Texas, which sat right on Old Route 66. The tower was supposed to get folks to stop at Groom.

190 feet tall!
I have no idea if it worked then or now. I didn’t see anything else around it, so I decided against pulling over. I even failed to get a picture.

HOWEVER, we had also noticed a very large cross out in the distance, for about the last 5 miles. As it got closer and closer, I knew we had to stop to at least take a picture and hopefully find out something about it.

We exited not long after the Leaning Tower and started to drive down the road towards the cross. They, (whoever “they” is) looked to be either building or adding on to a large church. But, we didn’t drive all the way to it. The cross was so large that to get a picture you had to be quite a ways from it. The builders knew this, and had put a message box along the road with some literature about the cross. I grabbed a brochure and we snapped our pictures.

I learned the cross is officially known as “The Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ” It is 190 feet tall, and is claimed to be the largest cross in the Western Hemisphere. It was built by Steve Thomas. Steve Thomas is the father of NFL Linebacker, Zach Thomas.

But, I did not want to spend a lot of time here, so we got back in our car and got back on the highway. But, I’ve discovered that they have quite a few other exhibits at the base of the cross and they have a gift shop. Seeing as how my mother was in a Rehab facility, I was probably tempting God’s rath by ignoring this pilgrimage. If I had thought about that, at the time. we would have spent some time here. Next time for sure. But for now, we were on our way to OKC.

cneoridium says:
!!!
Posted on: Aug 07, 2009
The Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ
The Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ
This cross can be see from 20 mile…
This cross can be see from 20 mil…
It can withstand winds up to 140 m…
It can withstand winds up to 140 …
Groom