work or no work? that is the question

Amsterdam Travel Blog

My 'home' for the past 4 years

One of the bigger challenges of my trip (of any trip, I guess) will be finances. A couple of years ago the Dutch government introduced this 'great' initiative "Levensloopsparen", or path-of-life-savings (you gotta love those brilliant names only governments can come up with). This is the option to save up a percentage of your salary -tax free- which can be used to fund a period of unpaid leave. An excellent initiative, were it not for the fact that it is not mandatory for your employer to grant you the requested unpaid leave.

For the past four years I have been saving up money, using this program. But then, hey, presto, a credit crunch. Guess what my employer said when I asked for unpaid leave? Exactly! As I have a billable role, someone else will need to take over the work I do and in the current economical climate headcount is key, so my employer can only hire someone if someone else leaves.

I might actually miss these ugly walls

Can't blame em, really, but it does make quite a dent in my budget as I now have to look into additional health insurance and will miss out on some of the tax benefits associated with the levensloop thingy.
On a more positive side, I will no longer be restricted in my timelines. Not having a job waiting for me when I return means I don't have to be home by a certain date. So my initial plan for a six month trip quickly expanded to nine months. Basically I'l be gone from Easter to Christmas... maybe longer if I can get some things arranged on the house part (finding a tennant for my house would obviously mean I will have income/less costs while away).

And when I get home? Well, I guess I'll just worry about that later. I am welcome to return to Orange if they have a vacancy when I come home, but whether or not I will do that depends on so many things I cannot (and don't want to) anticipate this far ahead.
one of our brand values

But I must say that I have mixed feelings about leaving my job. On the one hand it is not bad to start something new when I return. I might not even want to return to the Telecom industry, but do something completely different instead. On the other hand, I do feel quite at home at Orange. It is a strong brand I believe in, and my work really *is* a lot of fun (mostly). Guess I'll have to enjoy it while it lasts (five more months) and worry about the future later...

ik-ben-10eke says:
Tja... de zakelijke tak... helaas ben ik een particulier, met een prepaidje....
Die 10% extra krijg ik dus niet meer :(
Biedjee says:
Hi Tineke, niet alles van Orange is over naar T-mobile. De zakelijke tak heet nog steeds Orange Business Services.
ik-ben-10eke says:
Dacht ik toch dat Orange (tot mijn spijt) bijna naadloos was opgegaan in T-Mobile.
Ach, misschien kan je als je terugbent dan bij T-Mobile aan de slag LOL
Dapper hoor om je baan in de steek te laten, hoewel, in een jaar kan veel gebeuren en wie weet hoeveel jobs er liggen op je liggen te wachten als je weer terugbent :P
Ik weet wel dat ik dit in het verleden ook deed, lekker reizen tussen twee banen in :D
My home for the past 4 years
My 'home' for the past 4 years
I might actually miss these ugly w…
I might actually miss these ugly …
Amsterdam