AsiaIndiaPune

Starting the Challenge

Pune Travel Blog

Leaving the Zenzi Bar/lounge

Starting was set at 10 o ├žlock but we were not going to make it, lots of things still had to be arranged. Last minute repear (yes before we started) and other stuff had to be taken care of.

After some pep talk from arthur the orginizer and a spokeswomen of the Dutch ambassy we were ready to GO!! One by one we left the Zenzi bar/lounge in Mumbai on our way for the first 164 km to Pune. After a quick Indian ceromony (incl the flowers) we finally left.
Paul in the back and me driving. First stop, the gas station because we got the rickshaws allmost empty. Arriving at the gasstation things went wrong for us (me!). Driving up the steep ramp for the gasstation the rickshaw tilted over to the right, and i ramed it into a car, my luck it was a car from the orginasation.

First breakdown after 9km!!
It was also my luck because if the car wasn't there a would have tumbled over with our 'car'. Damage was not that bad at our rickshaw but there was a big bump in the car, but nothing real shocking!! After the challenge it cost me 90 euros damage fee so not that bad.
Than the real challenge began, LEAVING MUMBAI CITY CENTRE. That was not that easy!! After 9k of driving our rickshaw had allready enought of it it stopped! Problem was a wrong sparkplug in the engine so that wy it didn't run so good. We got a new one and drove of again. Then after a few km another rickshaw in our time broke down with an electrical problem, it took 1,5 hrs to fix it. After a few hours and a quick (really quick) lunch we got on to the Mumbai Expressway out of Mumbai. This went pretty good but we still had another 100km to go before arriving in Pune.
My feet after 14 hours of driving
At about 6 o 'clock the sun started to go down and it went dark, we still had 60 km to go in the hills towards Pune. The told us not to drive in the dark but we had no option, so we drove on. I can tell you there are things in life that are less dangerous than driving in India in the dark. We drove our rickshaw between truck and cars in the dark uphill the expressway, this was no fun at all but HELL!!!!! Then the main light from our vehicle went out so we had no lights at all, we used our maglight for some light on the road.
After driving for 4 hours in the dark we finally arrived at Pune hotel at 10pm at night. A quick shower and than some food and drinks after this heavy first day of the Challenge.

Getting attention!
Arriving in Pune
Arriving in Pune
Driving at night not a good plan
Driving at night not a good plan
First good india (veg) meal :-)
First good india (veg) meal :-)
The Dukes and the Fire team
Tasted good!!!
Tasted good!!!
Pune Hotels & Accommodations review
Top of the bill
Our second hotel in India, and one of the best. Once we parked our 'cars'in the garage of the hotel witch is good secured. We checked in. The first th… read entire review
Pune