EuropeItalyFano

0516 The back alleys of Fano (Ita 041—new)

Fano Travel Blog

From Senigalia I continue up the coast a little ways to another town that is clearly rich in history as well. Just outside the train station is the corner of the high, imposing wall that once went all around the city.

I have to walk a little ways before I finally find an entrance, and soon set out to explore the city.  It also has very long straight alley that seem to be a characteristic of these historic plains towns.  It also has a small fortress on the corner--  you can explore it a bit, but there’s not a whole lot to see…

As dusk sets it, I continue my tour up and down the alleys… in one place what looks like an entrance to a building, is actually a long, tunnel passageway to another alley… definitely a fun little town to wander around in.

I head down an alley back towards the station, when suddenly I reach a metal gate.  I peer inside to what looks like an ancient Greek temple with only pillars reaching up to the open sky.  It’s very dark and I can’t even get a proper photo—which makes it all the more intriguing… At the entrance is the mosoleum with the statue of a medieval king lying on an ancient casket…

… And Fano all of a sudden feels a whole lot more mysterious….

Fano