0450 The Croatian Philosopher (Ger 004—new)

Offenbach Travel Blog

I veer to the south to what looks like a town, and wander around for a while until I see a map and realize I’m still in Frankfurt… Undaunted I continue on east until I finally exit the city and reach Offenbach.

I immediately stop in the park and find a quiet spot to play some music.  As I get up to leave, an older middle aged man asks me why I’m leaving so soon.  He seems friendly so I head over for a chat.

It turns out he’s Ivo Broz, a Croation writer/philosopher and distant relative of the late dictator of Yugoslavia, Tito!

His English isn’t all that good, but we still manage to talk for several hours about religion (the topic he’s currently writing a book about), about the history of Croatia and former Yugoslavia… It’s a fun and interesting discussion--  my third in the last 24 hours, and I look a couple of new things about Croatia

Since then, I’ve googled Ivo Broz but have only found information in Croatian and German… he is quite a fascinating fellow, though, and I’m a bit tickled by this chance meeting…

I continue on into the heart of Offenbach, with a modern and practical town center and pedestrian only area… Nothing all that special.  A lot of immigrants in this suburb, but it doesn’t have a run down feel to it.  I take a my video clip in front of a pair of midrise office buildings, and continue on my way.

Offenbach