More caves explored, Geology senses tingling and a temporary lack of ice cream.

Divaca Travel Blog

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon

Exactly.  In a much better mood.   I managed to turn all my anger into a hatred of my hostel, and then changed hostel.  If that only worked with other things in life.  Went to Predjama castle and cave yesterday.  Its a castle, in a cave - cool eh! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predjama_Castle)  They had a medieval pageant thing there and contradicted everything that was said at Warwick castle, such as the suitably of wooden shields and big axes as waepons and which fruit or veg is the same consitency as a human head, melon or cauliflower.  All very important things to know, I`m sure you`ll agree.  There was also a medieval Lovely Girls contest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnYoFmBagmk), complete with priestly judge.  It was a hot and good day, but I won`t go on.  I am aware this is meant to be a blog of at least some kind of insight.  It was a day, a good day.  And there was another cave exploration, much more cave-like this one.  By which I mean darker, more cramped, not full of a thousand people.  But less decorated.  More real if you were.

So today I went to  the Skocjan caves, the UNESCO caves no less.  The place I had intended to go on Saturday but failed due to incompetence.  I had originally intended on some kind of kick-ass day, whereby I`d rent a bike, go cycling through a cool local canyon and past the nearby Polje.  A polje being a lake for some of the year and fields for the other, due to being where the water collects before sinking into the ground in this limestone terrain.  Probably a precursor to a sinkhole I would imagine, but then I`m no geologist.  Oh wait.  From there I had intended to go to see some cool watery caves, of different colours on ideally a four hour dingy based tour of dark-based awesome.  But twas not to be.  Some large group had hired all the bikes, the four hour tour was fully booked up (only four people a day unfortunatly).  Sounds like some other people had decided to visit Slovenia!  And due to the thunderstorm, I was told by the owner on a short but ultimatly expensive phonecall, that the cave waters weren`t clear anyway, and so the experience would have been less awesome.  So I went to the Skocjan caves instead via train.  I like travelling by train, it makes me feel like Michael Palin.  And I had my first real conversation with a Slovene, a guy called Jirna.  The fact he studies in Cambridge made it far easier to talk to him.  We talked about Swine flu amongst other things, as you do.

Anywho the caves were awesome, awesome, awesome.  Brilliant stuff.  It had several huge chambers.  The first with Stalgmites fifteen metres high.  Huge feckers.  The biggest chamber was incredible.  It was an underground gorge, about a hundred metres deep.  Several hundred long.  The thing would have been a tourist attraction even without the fact it was underground.  There was a bridge (sadly it could not have been Khazad-dum as it had a handrail, but the rest was very Moria like in scale, only bigger!!!)  across at 45 metres deep, which made you feel very small.  And to think that the thing fills up when it floods.  Such a huge volume.  And there were massive sink-holes at one end, far beyond anything I had envisaged having really only had the north of england as my experience of Karst scenery.  But then this is the original Karst scenery, (German word apparently, the Slovenes use Kras or something similar).  One of those places that photographs would do no justice whatsoever (the fact it was half dark also adds a certain level of difficulty to photography).  So I`ll just repeat the word wow over and over and over until you get the idea.  Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.  Ok?  Good.

Emerging into the sunny summer afternoon I went in search of ice cream, but alas, none was to be found.  What kind of a tourist attraction doesn`t serve ice cream.  I mean, for God`s sake, no ice cream?
You could also tell the proximity of the caves to Italy by the sudden increase in the use of the word Ciao in conversation.

Thus endeth phase one of the trip, onto phase two, back to Ljubljana to meet up with the others.  Thats all for now.  Adios
Divaca