Kaikoura - Picton - Wellington

Wellington Travel Blog

From Kaikoura we drove north to Picton, drop off our rental car and boarded the Interisland ferry across the Cook Sraits to Wellington. It was a big ferry but the current was quite strong and after few minutes almost all of us started feeling dizzy.  A word of reminder - Pack proper medicine to counter sea sickness. You’ll never know when you will need it the most or at least someone who you can help while traveling. I can only say but when I traveled with my parents and youngest brother from Ijmuiden near Amsterdam,Holland to Newcastle UK last April 2008, the trip were like hell on earth. The current was so strong and all except me vomited numerous times. The journey took  longer hours than normal,  and we  almost fainted. The best part was I forgot to bring the medicine.

Once arrived at the port, we contacted Ace Rental, picked up rental car of same type and made but in a much better condition than the one we had in the South Island. Anyway the price difference was NZ$ 16 per day. We stayed at Marksman Motor Inn for 1 night.  With hesitation we called Kazi, our dear friend through email. She is married to Thomas and lives in Wellington. She invited us to her house for dinner, we were worried as we do not want to trouble her. She cooked delicious green curry chicken (Masak Lemak Cili Api)  for us and we will forever thank her and Thomas  for their kindness and hospitality. Gazillion thank you from the bottom of our heart.

2,113 km (1,313 miles) traveled