Montevideo, Uruguay - a full day

Montevideo Travel Blog

tour of Montevideo

Today is another day of a new adventure here in the big city of Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay.

I head to the lobby and wait for 3 others from the group, Don, Tina and Esther, as we are going on a city tour this morning.
I am feeling good after last night few drinks at the pub, I imagine the others are a little rough today after a night of party.

Our bus arrives and we head off for the tour of the city, we go to the main centre square and take many photos and see the Canadian Embassy.
We go off the rich part of town and see many interesting looking buildings and yards. Head off to the capital building and take many photos here as well, its a greatest building in the entire city. WE go off to the park to see the main soccer stadium in the city in which many people are here waiting for a game that is going to be happening tonight.

The guide gives us a thorough history lesson of the country as well, and we learn it quite well. I am not a fan of escorted tours but we are only here for a short time and it was the best way to see some of the sights.
Afterward, around noon we are now on free time, we are now hungry. We make it to the port area of the city and go to this place called Porta something, to which check my reviews for proper names. Inside it is a huge place full of BBQ places to eat, you can see the fresh meat and sausages being cooked right before your eyes. We go and sit down at one restaurant, Don and I order steak while the girls order some Vegetarian dish. The food was totally amazing and I highly recommend this place, It was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten in my life.

We leave here and continue to walk around the city and do some self exploring.
We run into this parade that is going on. It is some historic event parade, all the people are in costume and traditional dress. We actually walk with the entire parade like we are with the group for a long while, it is lots of fun. We finally make it to some centre stage and they do some type of presentation of some sort, we take more photos.

During this time we lost Don, apparently he got stomach problems and went back to hotel for a nap. The 3 of us continue to explore the city. We admire all the old buildings here and how they resemble all the Spanish eras. We go into this one area and all of sudden a local lady comes out and tells us to leave as we are in a dangerous area, we respect her warnings and leave.

We make it down to one beach area and admire the area, there is a nice fairground nearby and many people together with motorscooters.
nice building

This was a great day of just chilling and walking around, we cover quite a lot of ground this afternoon. Head back to the hotel for a nap before dinner tonight.
We later in the evening head out to a fancy restaurant this night for some great food. The service is very high class and food was quite amazing.  I have a steak again for dinner and once again probably the best one I have ever eaten before. We have wine also at this time, I think Don had quite too many here as he seemed way to happy.
We finish our meals and make it back to the hotel, Don was about to give the taxi driver way too much money as he drank a whole bottle of wine, tonight. We help him out and send him off to his room and handle the cab fare.
Overall it was a great day, Montevideo is an amazing city, I wished I had more time here as I enjoyed my time.
Tomorrow we are off to our last destination in Uruguay, the town of Colonia, stay tuned for the next adventure.

View more information at my travel blog i.e. www.excitingworldtravels.com

tea containers