delicious pizza and a walk on Artist's Point

Grand Marais Travel Blog

great pizza place

It was lunchtime, so we drove to Grand Marais to have lunch at the famous Sven and Ole’s.  I thought it would be Scandinavian food given the name and heritage of the area, but it was a pizza joint.  I was a little skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious the pizza was.  The pizza crust was soft and sweet and possibly the best crust I’ve had.  I wish I could have taken some home with me.

After lunch we stopped in the Ben Franklin store, known locally as “more than a five and dime”.  And it really was.  It had just about everything.  There was a wide selection of clothes, Carhardts (work clothes), and shoes.

sailboats in the harbor
  They also had an aisle of books, mostly of regional interest.  Also souvenirs, camping supplies, kitchenware, toys, fabric and crafts, candles, housewares, and lots more.  It was fun to wander the aisles.  Next was a northwoods outfitters store that had outdoorsy clothes, supplies and knickknacks.

It was cloudy and cool in town, about 15 degrees cooler than it was at the state park.  The harbor was quiet but the streets were filled with people.  We went over to the Coast Guard station and lighthouse so I could get a geocache out there.  It was located on Artist’s Point, a little point with wooded trails over rocks.  It was great!  There was a little pebble beach on the town side and some nice wave sculpted rocks on the lake side.

Artist's Point
  The dirt trails crisscrossed through some pines with rocks forming slight changes in topography.  The trails of packed dirt sounded hallow when you walk over them.  The geocache was located on a crevasse under a rock ledge on the lake side.  This was such a fun place to explore that I’ll have to make sure I spend more time here next time.  I never knew this was here and never would have if I hadn’t been geocaching.

Just before leaving we stopped for dessert.  Mom got frozen custard at a stand and I went to World's Best Donuts on the same block, both coming from the lighthouse.  The donuts were very thick.  Donuts are usually light and fluffy and melt in your mouth.  This one was just heavy and filling - but good.  I don't know about world's best, though...  We went back to our campsite to check out and move to our next park.
Artists Point
Artist's Point
trail on rocks
trail on rocks
trail on dirt
trail on dirt
cool crevasse in rocks
cool crevasse in rocks
how could you not love climbing ar…
how could you not love climbing a…
view to south along Lakeshore
pirate ship from Artist's Point
Artists Point sign
Artist's Point sign
Grand Marais Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
possibly the best pizza crust ever
I've seen Sven and Ole's bumper stickers and billboards but didn't know what type of food they served. I thought it would be Scandinavian food given t… read entire review
Grand Marais