cart in camping - a new experience

Beaver Bay Travel Blog

our cart in site

We camped in the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park campground.  This campground is different because all sites are cart-in.  This means you place all your gear on a two wheeled cart and wheel your stuff to your site.  Our site was about a quarter of a mile from the parking lot and bathrooms but we had a pit toilet up the path near the next site.

The trail was gravel and started by going downhill.  The carts had brakes but I still had trouble going slow down the hill.  It was flat for a bit and then went back up hill to our site.  Mom helped push while I pulled.  Our site had a nice wood mulch tent pad and an additional dirt pad, picnic table, fire pit and bear box (food locker).  We could see the lighthouse from the back of our site!  We set up the tent, made a fire and heated up some macaroni and cheese for dinner.  A deer walked around our campsite within a few feet of us.  We enjoyed a nice campfire, had smores and relaxed before bed.

I had started geocaching here, but the final location was on top of Day Hill behind us and I decided to wait to go up there.
our cart in site
Split Rock Lighthouse from our cam…
Split Rock Lighthouse from our ca…
me pulling our cart
me pulling our cart
the deer walking by the tent
the deer walking by the tent
our campfire
our campfire
Beaver Bay Hostels review
cart in camping
Split Rock Lighthouse State Park has a campground with 20 cart in sites. Each site has a two wheeled cart that you load your gear on and wheel your s… read entire review
Beaver Bay