Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park

Kakabeka Falls Travel Blog

Kakabeka Falls

We took some back roads to Kakabeka Falls and when we came out on Highway 11/17, there was a big accident so we had to be rerouted over more back roads.  At one point we even crossed a one lane bridge high over the river - yikes!

Back in the park, I had to exchange some money so we could pay.  They can change money at the little entrance station.  It was $5 for 2 hours.  We crossed the bridge and parked near the visitor center for a picnic overlooking the falls.  We cooked up some hotdogs on my little one burner stove.

After lunch we walked along the river and looked at the falls.  We had each been here at least twice before so we didn't spend too much time.  The falls were very nice, but pretty low flow.  It looks like they might have had a newer board walk put in.  We took some pictures and pretty much left.  I wanted to hit another geocache, but we figured we couldn't get to it with the road closed.

There was a fun geocache in a cemetary where you locate a bunch of stones and record the dates from them.  You then calculate the final coordinates based on those dates.  It took an hour to find all the dates but it was fun looking through the cemetary.  But then I couldn't find the geocache.  That was frustrating after all that time spent solving the puzzle.  So frustrated, we drove off to Thunder Bay.

picnic at the falls