Lots of driving and scenery

River Falls Travel Blog

car is loaded!

As I was planning this trip, my mom decided to come along with me - partly because I would be alone and she would worry about me and partly because she thought it sounded fun.  We loaded up her car and left from my parents' house and drove up to the Duluth area.  We stopped briefly at the Lester River Wayside in Duluth to see some glacial striations on the rocks.

Our next stop was at Betty' Pies near Two Harbors for a late lunch (2:30 pm) and delicious pies!  I picked up a geocache at the wayside across the street from the restaurant.

Next stop was a geocache at the Silver Creek Cliff Overlook just after you pass through the first tunnel on Hwy 61.  Great view and great place for a quick cache.

At Silver Bay, I pulled in to the scenic overlook of the North Shore Mine.  I used to work up here and I've been to this overlook before but my mom hadn't.  The visitor center was closed for the day but they have a nice little exhibit on mining.

Our final destination was Cascade River State Park.  I had reserved a campsite for two nights, since they didn't have any sites open for longer than that unless you wanted to gamble on a non-reservable site.  It was a very cold night for camping!

River Falls