Final stop pretty much
Santiago Travel Blog› entry 39 of 45 › view all entries
Quite a nice city as cities go, although a bit more money to spend would have been nice. It was definitely the most expensive of our South American destinations. Thought we had a week to spend here, but a casual double-checking of our flight dates revealed I had been thinking of our arrival date in Oz, not our departure from Chile, which was a couple of days earlier!
- La Casa Roja; our accommodation for a number of days. A rather pleasant chilled hangout, with nice original features of what was probably a rather fancy mansion or hotel.
- Wine tour to the old CousiÃ±a Macul winery. The new one is out of town.
- A visit to Parque Quinta Normal and the museum that happened to be there; Museo Nacional de Historia Natural, which passed the time.
- The "Cafes con piernas" - not really a highlight, but interesting! Coffee served by ladies all togged up in figure hugging short dresses (not particularly flattering most of the time!). However, the coffee was nice, and reasonably priced too.
- Relaxing knowing we didn't have to lug our too heavy rucksacks much further, including the weavings bought in Sucre, Bolivia and the rug, table cloth etc we bought about 8 weeks previously in Otavalo, Ecudaor!