Tourists, wimbledon, sick and wedding in London

London Travel Blog

So we landed in London on Thursday at 7 am....after flights that weren´t too bad....although the fact that our luggage didn´t make it to London with us was a bit of a concern...only very short lived however because it meant that we needed to go shopping to buy some clothes and emergency toiletries!!  Should have heeded the advice to "always have a spare pair of underwear in my carry on" which I usually do but this time didn´t...hope I didn´t jinx the luggage!

Anyway, so after emergency purchases were made at Primark (cheap cheap shopping, we bought 5 pairs underwear each, 5 pairs socks for John, shorts and t-shirt for John, singlet and skirt for me...all for 20 pounds!) we set off sightseeing.  Well after some Dim Sum for lunch at my old favourite in China Town.

We wandered around Picadilly, Liecester Square, Covent Garden and then down to the take in the sights (and a drink) from a boat moored on the Thames.

After all that the jet lag kicked in and it was time to head out to Heathrow to stay in a hotel pre-wimbledon the next day....heading out there via Tesco to stock up on some snacks (cheese and crackers) and vino and beer to take with us (you can take us out of Aussie....yada yada yada....)

Since I was whacked some of the cheese because dinner and I was in bed by 7 that night...John stayed up til 9 (so late!) watching telly eating cheese.  Why so much about the cheese?  Because it must have been dodgy....I started to feel sick as soon as I woke up on Friday the next morning...and John about 4 hours later.

I spent most of the time on the bus to Wimbledon trying not to puke and hoping that we made it there before I needed the toilet again.  And then both of us took it in turns to check out the toilets...really quite nice for a major sporing event!  Anyway we did see some tennis....we saw Stosur and Stubbs beat the Spanish girls in the doubles semi, while keeping an eye on the score for the Williams sisters doubles (the annihilated the opposition) and the Federer singles semi.  The scene was great although unfortunately we weren´t able to partake in any strawberries, cream or pimms....a very very sad situation...

So after a good night rest in out apartment in Greenwich...we were all fired up for Kim´s wedding on Saturday.  Jess came over and was ready to go before us (we had taken a walk around Greenwich - up the park and to check out where time began....sort of...the GMT line (Greenwich Mean Time) and we found a lovely little cafe for breakfast (plain toast with sad because it was an organic cafe and all the food looked lovely).  So we got ready for the wedding and got a cab to the venue....a gorgeous little church up on a hill (called one tree hill, although there was a whole forest up there!).  The ceremony was lovely and Kim and Mat both looked lovely and really really happy.

After the ceremony an old style London bus came to pick us up to take us to the reception...a pub on the river at Greenwich.  Starting out with Pimms (def back on the wagon by then), then vino, salmon, lamb and creme brulee...really really nice.  The night finished off with some crazy dancing to cheesy music on the dance did anyone know I love my cheese!! Wake me up before you go go...yeah!!!

Next time for hang to do more sightseeing.  We caught the jump on jump off tourist bus from London Bridge...going around all the major sights.  Jumping off around Hyde Park Corner we were going to go to Harrods for lunch but got caught by the smell of onions from a burger bar in the park....huge mistake...the hamburger smelt great but tasted gross!!

Anywaywe got dropped off back at Piccadilly....walked down to Trafalgar square...where I attempted to climb in the Lions but they were too hot!!  We walked down to the river and over go on the London eye.  Great views of all over London from there!  And finished off our time in London with what else but a trip to Brick Lane for a curry....yum!!

Next a really early cab ride to Dublin Monday morning!
photo by: ulysses