Visiting the Pearl Farm and Motu

Tahaa Travel Blog

I woke about 6:00, showered, dressed, checked e-mail and was back in the room when breakfast was delivered at 7:00. About the same time, we tied up at the dock in Raiatea. This is the only port besides Papeete where we don’t have to tender in and that’s so much easier!

We’d signed up for the “Tahaa Pearl Farm & Motu Mahaea” so 26 of us boarded a boat right near the ship and headed out for a 25 minute ride to a pearl farm in Faaha on nearby Tahaa. (Vowels don’t get combined; every one is pronounced separately so that’s “fah-ah-ha on ta-ha-ah”!) Maurice, our tour guide, lives there. The lecture on cultivating pearls was both entertaining and educational. It’s amazing what the reject rate is at every step of the process. I'm surprised pearls aren't more expensive than their already-high price! Of course, there was a boutique but there was absolutely no pressure to by. Here, like everywhere, the people were warm and friendly.

Leaving the pearl farm, we went a short distance to a motu where we had about 90 minutes to swim and snorkel. Here the snorkeling was pretty good and I was happy I’d brought my gear. The weather had not been stellar and it began to rain heavily. Some people ran for cover under a tarp but many of us just went back in swimming! It was warmer in the water and certainly a lot more fun than huddling under a tarp!

Tahaa