Exotic Bora Bora

Bora Bora Travel Blog

Chris & Linda

We ate breakfast on the stern. I got talking to a guy who introduced himself as Brian and we discovered that we were both pilots as was his wife, Sandy. He flies for UA and owns a Baron. Sandy owns a C-180. When they heard I was from PA, they called over a man from their dinner table who’s also from PA. It turns out Otto is from near Philadelphia but has a cabin near our summer cottage! So here I am in Bora Bora, talking to a guy whose summer place is 12 miles from mine in the boondocks of PA! Try to top THAT "small world" story!

Bora Bora is very close to Raiatea but Princess had scheduled the Tahitian Princess to spend the evening at the dock in Uturoa and spend the morning doing “Tahaa Cruising", then crossing to Bora Bora.

I’m sure the vistas would have been breathtaking and I was looking forward to getting some great pictures. Unfortunately, the heavy rain made visibility almost zero. However, we spent the morning relaxing and I got a chance to sit in the library and read while Lin gambled a bit. As you might expect, the Internet café was mobbed.

I kept telling Linda that the afternoon would bring good weather and that by the time we were scheduled for our submarine ride, it would be beautiful. For some reason, she doubted me. She still doesn't believe in the power of positive thinking! We had to be on the dock by 1:50 for our Submarine experience at 2:00. By the time we boarded the tender, it had stopped raining and by the time we met the other four passengers and the man who would take us to the sub, it was starting to clear.

There was a small delay as the schedule had been backed up by the morning’s rain but eventually we boarded a rubber dingy for a high-speed ride to the outer side of the reef where the Spirit of Pacific was waiting for us. We had to climb through a circular hatch and down a ladder into the tiny interior of the sub. This part was cylindrical and transparent. There were 6 tiny stools for us but I could see no room for the pilot. Soon the pilot, Alain, descended and the ladder telescoped upward, revealing his seat and joystick control. He took us down 100 feet and along the reef wall.

There were exactly one-point-two zillion fish including a number of black-tipped sharks and one 12 foot lemon shark. The sub was fitted with a feeding device and the fish had, of course, learned to follow closely! Alain said he had to stand up to release the food and that the fish were so accustomed to the feeding ritual that they knew what that meant.

At Bloody Mary's
Sure enough, he stood up and they went berserk! There was a huge green “Napoleon” fish that he had named Bob. Bob might have been huge but he was both timid and docile. All in all, the 30 minute experience was fantastic! By the time we surfaced, it was a beautiful sunny day. Why this woman doesn’t believe me is still a mystery! We did a bit of shopping in Vaitape, then returned and, as per script, Linda rested in the room while I headed for the pool.

After changing for dinner, we caught the tender at 6:30 into Vaitape so we could meet the others on the dock at 7:00 for dinner at Bloody Mary's. There were only two other passengers on the tender with us. Jesse, Pat, Chris and Christa arrived a few minutes after 7:00. They said Richard and Rita would also be joining us but had a late tour and would come along later.

At Bloody Mary's
We promptly caught Le Truck to Bloody Mary’s, getting there about 7:35. We did some shopping in the gift shop, had a drink and had just ordered dinner when Richard and Rita arrived.

Bloody Mary’s is a kick! The floor is sand and there’s a place to check your shoes at the door. The “menu” is a huge table covered with ice and fresh fish. There are also some “landlubber” options. Behind this table is the grill. You choose your appetizer and main course and it goes on the grill! For appetizers, I had Teriyaki Tuna Shish Kabob while Lin had Beef. As main courses, I had Seared Tuna and Lin had Mahi Mahi. The food was excellent and the service was fantastic. They really made us feel like we’d been coming there twice a week for years! We had a blast. Two things shocked me about the check.

First is that they happily gave separate checks to each of the 4 couples. The second was the price. Because of the general pricing on the islands and the fact that this is a top notch and very popular place, I expected to have to sell my house to pay the bill. In US dollars, it came to about $130 for Lin and me, including drinks! And, of course, there's no tipping in these islands! I guess I can keep the house!

We’d been told the tenders would run continuously until 8:30 and than one more tender would leave the dock at 11:00. Miss that and it’s the beach until 7:00 AM! We’d made arrangements for Le Truck to pick us up at Bloody Mary’s at 10:30 so we had a few minutes to walk on their dock and enjoy the spectacular stars before leaving for the dock. Headed straight for bed when we reached the ship.

bernard69 says:
glad to read that u are not homeless!
Posted on: Jul 27, 2009
Bora Bora is, to many people, the very embodiment of exotic. The profile of the island is absolutely enchanting and I took about a zillion pictures of it, not one of which conveys the magic. The colors of the lagoon are the most beautiful I've ever seen and photos fall far short on conveying that beauty. Bora Bora is considerably smaller than I'd anticipated but it has lots of resorts, most of which have over-water rooms. They really look beautiful and I think Bora Bora would be a great place to hang out for a couple of weeks but it would be an expensive vacation. However, we talked to a young couple who had spent about 4 days on the island and they got bored. I'm sure if you're interested in action, this isn't the place for you! The principal town is Vaitape. It's essentially a single street parallel to the coast. It's pretty small but there are some nice shops here as well.
Feeding time!