Another great day on Bora Bora

Bora Bora Travel Blog

Woke at 6:00, checked e-mail, had breakfast in the cabin and took the tender to meet the catamaran from O’Hana Cruises on the dock at 8:20. This was a 20 meter fiberglass catamaran sailboat built in La Rochelle, France. It was a beautiful boat and not at all crowded. Cruising with another identical boat, we headed clockwise around the island and anchored off a motu about an hour later. Though we were far from shore, the water was chest-deep. The place was beautiful and we swam for about an hour before heading back. As soon as the captain shut down the engine, I asked for the helm and he graciously gave it to me. He asked whether I was experienced enough to handle the sails as well. When I assured him I was, he left me on my own and he and the two crew members entertained us with music.

I was absolutely in heaven and sailed for about an hour, giving up the helm only when he again started the engine. Sailing in Bora Bora? Heaven!!! One of the crew had a great yellow pareo with a black geometric design rather than the flowers that are so typical. Responding to my question, he said he’s bought it in the grocery store in Viatape so we went and bought one for each of us. Afterwards, we ate across the street.

We wanted to rent a car but I’d left my license on the ship so we hired a cab to give us a tour of the island. The tour was nice and the driver stopped frequently on her own and any time I even looked like I wanted to take a picture. We asked to see a couple of hotels and she accommodated that. We met Winston and Natalie at the Inter-Continental so we gave them a lift back to Vaitape. They did some shopping and we had some great home-made ice cream before heading back to the ship. You know what happened next… Lin slept and I went on deck until we left Bora Bora. About that time, it started to rain again. Great timing!

I took a little nap myself, then dressed for the black-tie dinner. The show was only so-so and we were both falling asleep so we gave up and went to bed immediately thereafter. Great day again!

Capn Jack.
Cap'n Jack.
Me at the helm.
Maybe as close as Ill get to heav…
Maybe as close as I'll get to hea…
Winston, Natalie, Linda & me.
Winston, Natalie, Linda & me.
Bora Bora