Day 7 - Black Balsam

Riga Travel Blog

Riga
Our final day was reserved for some sightseeing and the usual wanderings. By now our hedonistic behaviour of the previous days had finally caught up with us and we took the day very easy to say the least. We made the most of the sun by climbing St. Peters cathedral for some stunning views of the city.

Not really up for anything substantial to eat, I opted for a plate of beetroot soup at a local pub/restaurant, where we sat for a while and watched some football. My stomach wasn't feeling to great after lunch but a little ice cream helped sooth the uneasiness. As usual, we left the gift shopping until the very last minute and so spent some of the afternoon clearing up this chore.

After some more wandering we remember one last thing that we had to do before we left Riga, and that was to partake of some Black Balsam.
Riga
We found a quaint medieval looking bar that served this potent liquor and ordered one each as a farewell drink to Riga. We spent the following 10 minutes just looking at the oily black drink before us and after much hesitation, I finally necked it in one go. Dave followed as well and we had our final taste of Riga.

Soon after it was time to collect our bags and head to the airport, sad to leave the Balkans and return to Scotland. I think we might have needed a further week holiday to recover! So we had cleared up a little unfinished business in terms of getting through all of Europe, with a week being ample time to get around Riga and Tallinn. We would have probably thrown Lithuania into the mix if we had an extra 2 or 3 days. So, all in all, Riga and Tallinn is more than recommended.