Day 5 - Shakyhand Man

Tallinn Travel Blog

Today was a complete and utter day of nothingness and barely deserves a blog entry, however, enough went on that evening to justify writing one. We surfaced very late on in the afternoon, and our dorm room was empty so we had no worries about waiting on using the showers. The first thing on our minds was to get some lunch to kick start our day.

Not wanting to be overcharged at the restaurants in and around the main square, nor sell out and go to McDonalds, we tried to search out a cheap and local restaurant. Our wanderings brought us to a little place that almost exclusively sold crepes. We ventured inside to find that it was almost totally full with locals, which can't be a bad thing. We grabbed the last table and made our orders. I opted for a cream cheese and bacon crepe that was delicious and filling, so much so that I couldn't finish it.

Fed and watered, we spent the afternoon with two of our favourite pastimes; people watching and wandering. I'd grown to love Tallinn by this point, as the day past by at a slow easy going pace. If pressed, I must admit that I did prefer it to Riga. We even talked about the possibility of a ferry trip to Helsinki but agreed that the price and timescales made it more than difficult. We'd save that for another trip!

After such a great night yesterday, we headed back to the vibrant O'malleys bar to start our evening off. Karaoke was the order of the day once more but luckily neither one of us got dragged on stage again. We did start a little game of our own though, the amazing Mr. Shakyhand man. The rules are simple, approach a stranger and try and shake their hand for as long as possible before they let go. Dave took first prize with his epic handshake with a large Russian gentleman who was great banter.

We made it to a club for the 2nd night in a row, namely Club Hollywood, but didn't stay too long as we were really tired (read as drunk!). Two nights in a row was quite tough for us nowadays! It was the right decision though as we had our bus back to Riga the following morning.
photo by: Chokk