Day 1 - Arriving In Riga

Riga Travel Blog

In our attempt to fully conquer Europe, Dave and I continued our expeditions with a week long trip to Latvia and Estonia. Our plan was fairly simple, 4 days in Riga and 3 days in Tallinn. So we left Scotland from Prestwick airport, which was far easier to get to than I first thought, on a Ryan Air flight. As expected though, flying with Ryan Air was not the most straightforward. We opted to check-in online to skip the queues and to bypass the £5 fee. However, when we presented our boarding passes, they were declined and we were made to join the queue along with everyone else.

To be fair though, once we were boarded the flight was fine, well at least for the low price we paid for it. The only annoyance was the fact that the plane was plastered with their logo. All we could see for the next couple of hours or so was the garish yellow and blue branding. We arrived at Riga airport where check-in was smooth, and were soon in the city centre after a short mini-bus journey.

We checked into Friendly Fun Franks hostel and were greeted with a beer on arrival which was a very nice touch. We sipped on the ice cold Zeltas and watched some sky sports news whilst our rooms were made ready. The hostel was ok, but it was a bit big for my liking as I like my hostels a little more personal.

With most of the day already behind us, we ventured out with nothing else on our minds but to find food. We started as we meant to go on, with a slap up 3 course dinner; all washed down with some more beer. We saw out the night with a wander around the old town as we got a feel for the city, whilst touts constantly tried to persuade us to visit their gentlemen's clubs. After a long day of travelling we hit the sack fairly early in preparation for tomorrow's escapades.