The day I realized my feet would not be so fond of Paris

Paris Travel Blog

So after waking up, we quickly got ready and started our first official day of sight-seeing. Because it was Sunday, Celeste was free to act as our tour guide and whipped out her itinerary for us that she made while she was bored at work. I guess that happens even in Paris. So we started our day off at an organic market that takes place twice a week close to Jardin de Luxembourg. Although we didn't buy anything, it was still fun to roam the different stalls. It was cramped, which was fine except for the birds. One thing you should know about me: I am deathly afraid of birds. I will walk the long way around my school's campus to avoid running into a situation where I would be one-on-one with a nasty pigeon.

But I braved the organic market, so success for me.

We made our way over to Jardin de Luxembourg which was absolutely refreshing. So many people were out playing tennis, having picnics, or just tanning around the huge fountain which serves as the center for the garden. We sat down and relaxed, talked, and realized that there were a lot of runners out. Celeste said that there were basically no gyms in Paris compared to the U.S. (especially Arizona, where gyms probably outnumber Starbucks 2:1). Another thing I love about Paris is that it is a walking city- if you attempt to walk an hour in Arizona during the summer, I guarantee you will die. But on an average day in Paris, I think it's safe to say that we walked about 4 hours- so good for my behind!

So after the garden, we walked over to the nearby Pantheon.

As we made our way up the steps, two American girls came up to us asking if we would act as their "chaperones" so that they could get in. They were under 18, so they could get in for free, but only if they had supervisors. I hate that 18 is the cut-off! I just turned 19 in April, so I could have saved like 40 Euro during my trip on entrance fees lol. Whatever, it was completely worth it. The Pantheon was absolutely beautiful inside- particularly the dome and the detail on the ceiling. It reminded me of a much smaller and not as grand version of St. Paul's in London (one of my favorite places). We made our way over to the crypt where many influential figures are buried. It's kind of amazing to realize that Voltaire, Victor Hugo, and Marie Curie are literally resting right in front of you.

After leaving the Pantheon, we decided we were starving. Since it was Sunday, all of the cheaper grab-and-go places were closed meaning that the only places we could find were expensive sit-down restaurants. So we started what I would like to call the Mission:Find Food/Walk of Hell. It started getting hot outside and after about 1 hour of walking, we realized we had no idea where we were. So we finally found this place that had a cheap lunch special. SOLD. I got my second crepe which can only be described as a gift from God. Nutella + bananas= the only combination of foods I ever want to eat again.

So after enjoying our glorious lunch, we made our way over to the Latin Quarter to meet up with Pam. We were all insanely tired and just decided to go down and sit along the Seine. Like, literally, right along the Seine. If you have the chance, go down the stairs to the walkway by the Seine and just sit there. It is so relaxing and you get a great view of the area. So we just chilled around and decided we were going to go to bed as early as possible. We were all ready to pass out right there, but it was only 7. And because, you know, we would look like hobos sleeping along the river.

Before heading back to Celeste's apartment, we walked over to Notre Dame to just give me a quick glimpse. Um, amazing.

vmehnert says:
no.... I just find them terrifying. lol
Posted on: Feb 21, 2010
nomaden says:
haha! why are you afraid of birds? Allergies?
Posted on: Feb 17, 2010