Picnic at the Eiffel.

Paris Travel Blog

So today was our first day roaming Paris without Celeste, who was still present however in the form of her 12 day itinerary for us. haha She must have been either really bored at work or excited beyond belief to have visitors. Yeah, I'm thinking it's the latter.

TIP: When in Paris, get a Navigo card (if you plan on staying for about a week). It's a pass that's valid for either a week or a month (depending on which you purchase) that enables you to ride the metro an unlimited number of times. You could always purchase the pack of like 15 tickets, but for only about 4 euro more, the Navigo is such a better deal. Bonus: You look like a native Parisian. YES.

We made our way over to the Place de la Concorde and went inside the Jardin des Tuileries.

It was beautiful, except I had to whip out my sunglasses because the white sand throughout the park isn't so easy on the eyes when the sun is glaring down on it. Omar called Megan and we decided to meet up with her and her friend who was visiting from Ireland. 20 minutes later or so we met up with them at the Obelisk and headed on over to the Champs Elysees.

It was my first time seeing the Champs during the day, so I got a better idea of what exactly made up the street. I've always heard that the Champs has some of the best shopping in Paris- but I was a little disappointed. Nothing is on the This-is-so-not-happening-but-I-want-to-look-anyway side except for Louis Vuitton's flagship store, and nothing was really mainstream either. I did make a pit stop at Zara though and found the most amazing skirt of my life, only bettered by the fact that it was on sale.

Thank you French government!

Once we got to the end, we saw the Arc de Triomphe in all its glory. We searched for a way to get across and it took four of us to figure out that you had to go through a tunnel underneath the horrendously terrifying intersection. Once we were in the tunnel, we found out that it would cost about 15 euro to just stand next to it. Whatever- I was totally content with admiring the Arc from across the street and taking in the structure as a whole. Plus, I would be 15 euros richer. As we made our way down the other way of the Champs, we all realized we were starving. I had saved the other half of my breakfast (yes, this journal entry is making me sound like a cheap-o), but the others found a cute sandwich shop where we sat and ate our food.

I'm only really mentioning this meal because we had a really good conversation with Megan and Martin just learning about Irish culture. For example- a good tip is 10%. Hell no, that would never happen in the states.

So after lunch we parted ways and Omar and I headed back to Celeste's apartment. Celeste got out of work at 6-ish, so around that time we went and got groceries to make some bomb sandwiches with for our picnic. We met up with Pam, Megan, Hannah, and Martin at the popular spot that overlooks the Eiffel Tower- you know, the one where every tourist takes their mandatory photo. I was really surprised to find out that some Parisians dislike the Eiffel Tower, and that they think it's actually kind of ugly. WHAT? I mean, I knew there was hatred towards the pyramid at the Louvre, but the Eiffel Tower? Hm.

... well, people can have their opinions.

We sat down in the grassy areas by the fountains near the tower and set up our base. It was actually kind of crowded for a Monday night- and this was at 9ish. Ah! It took so long for me to get used to how light it stayed there! But anyway, we ate our amazing sandwiches and I downed my mandatory Diet Coke (another thing you should know about me is my addiction for it). So 10 o'clock rolls around and we wait for the tower to start twinkling.... and it doesn't. 10:30 comes around and still no twinkling! We didn't mind waiting, so as we were sitting around we started talking to this guy and girl sitting in front of us. Turns out they were brother and sister and backpacking their way through Europe. What was even cooler about them was the fact that they came equipped with bread and.

... wait for it.... NUTELLA!

So it's 11 o'clock and the tower finally began to twinkle! By this time, it was dark enough so that the twinkling could fully be appreciated against the dark night. I'm quite sure I took about 20 pictures, somehow thinking they were all different from one another. After it stopped and we decided to head home, we made our way back to the metro stop. On our way, we ran into this huge mass of people crowded around this Michael Jackson-esque dancer and an old man who was doing God knows what. It was so funny though, and after watching for like 10 minutes, we left for real.

emmllerg says:
Enjoy your next vacation to Paris
Posted on: Jun 02, 2013
marksreynolds says:
Love Nutella!!!
Posted on: Feb 17, 2010
vulindlela says:
Great blog!
I never tire of reading about this wonderful city!
Posted on: Jul 20, 2009
Why cant we have these here?
Why can't we have these here?
Paris