Day 6 of Golden Fleece - Patmos - Kusadasi, Turkey

Patmos Travel Blog

Day 6 of Golden Fleece - Patmos - Kusadasi, Turkey

Today is another morning, get up early as we have a few hours in port at the city of Patmos, Greece.
Some people are on excursions while others will go on their own. I am going to do my own walk about of the town today. There is no actual dock at Patmos, So I have to board a small boat to get to the town. I get on the boat and make a 10 minute journey to the town.
A quick run down of Patmos:Patmos (Greek, Πάτμος; Italian: Patmo) is a small Greek island in the Aegean Sea. One of the northernmost islands of the Dodecanese complex, it has a population of 2,984 and an area of 34.05 km (13 square miles). The highest point is Profitis Ilias, 269 meters above sea level. The Municipality of Patmos, which includes the offshore islands of Arkoi (pop. 54), Marathi (pop. 6), and several uninhabited islets, has a total population of 3,044 (2001 census) and a combined land area of 45.039 km².

There is a castle of Patmos that I try to get to, but we only have about 2 hours or less here at the port, which is downside to doing a cruise.
I walk around this nice little down and admire the nice boats and the white washed buildings. It is quite cloudy this morning but overall a neat little town. I make up the hill going towards this historical castle and look at my watch and realize I have to get back to the boat, I ran out of time.
Anyhow, back down the stairs and up some street I go and get to the last boat that went to the ship. I think several other people in the Contiki group, slept in this morning and did not even get to see Patmos, what a waste for some.

Anyhow back to the ship and go hang out with some of the people from the Contiki group. Many talk about how short the morning port was and could have seen more, abit rushed.  We hang out at lunch time while the ship sails back into Country of Turkey. We are off to city of Kusadasi and from here take a tour to the ancient city of Ehpesus.
For a history lesson of Ehpesus:

Ephesus (Ancient Greek Ἔφεσος, Turkish Efes ) was an ancient Greek city on the west coast of Anatolia, near present day Selçuk, Izmir province, Turkey. It was one of the twelve cities of the Ionian League during the Classical Greek period.

The city was famed for the Temple of Artemis (completed around 550 BCE), one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. The Temple was destroyed in 401 CE by a mob led by St. John Chrysostom.[1] Emperor Constantine I rebuilt much of the city and erected new public baths. The town was again partially destroyed by an earthquake in 614. The city's importance as a commercial center declined as the harbor was slowly silted up by the Cayster River (Küçük Menderes).

Anyways during this afternoon, that one girl I told you about, who was left behind in Mykonos. Well she was able to be reunited with the group. She took a high speed ferry from Mykonos and ended up in Patmos that morning.

Anyways this afternoon we finally port up in the city of Kusadasi. First glance of the city looks very modern and organized as well very historical. This is apparently a very high end place where lots of rich celebrities come to vacation.
We get off the ship and get on to our bus and they take us to the ancient city. We arrive to the site and are given a guided tour of the area. There are lots of ruins here and its highly protective. Some girl stood up on some old wall and all the guides started to yell at her to get off.
From here it started to rain abit and the walk way we are on was starting to get very  slippery as it was smooth and downhill. One large lady did take a tumble on it, but she was ok though.

We make our way to the main Library of Celsus, which is totally amazing to see. We do a group photo here and individual photos as well.
I could go on and on what there was to see here, but check out all my photos as that gives the best descriptions.
There was this stadium area  and also seeing some old ancient toilets as well, very amazing feeling to be surrounded by all of this history.

From here we get some photos that were made of the group from some vendor and then head back to the ship. At port we go for a walk around in the portside Bazaar. We are going to head out for a dinner a restaurant.
We first check out these portside seafood places, where you have to haggle for dinner. This one place had live lobster, and he started to try to sell us this one dish, he said the one live lobster would cost 200 euros!!!!.
No way!
So we went to this place with a green carpet and had a big feast of seafood and many other types of great food. It was really good. As well the servers would sing and dance as the entertainment.
There was all types of food here, so many things to list as it was overwhelming.
We stay for dessert and get back to the ship almost before it leaves. First stopping at a local market to buy some sweets and candies. Quite a good way to end the day.  I think for the evening we may had a small get together in Venus bar, otherwise, just a quiet evening.

Anyways onto the next day. To Rhodes Greece tomorrow, stay tuned.
photo by: Nzelvis