Day 1 - Athens, Greece

Athens Travel Blog

This is the story of my trip to Greece and Turkey. I did a cruise through Contiki with a cruise line called Louis Cruise Lines.
We did Athens a few of the Greek Isles and Turkey. I have below the list of places we went to from Contiki.

This blog is also at www.excitingworldtravels.com     Exciting World Travels

I left Ibiza, Spain that morning and made a flight back to Barcelona, then from there. I flew with Iberia Airlines from Barcelona to Athens, Greece.
This would be my second time going to Greece. My flight to Athens was quite uneventful, but good, a meal was served on the plane and service was quite decent, no complaints.

Alison all confused.

Finally land into Athens airport and get into the terminal to get my bags, which of course is a long wait.
 I get my bags and make it outside to get a taxi, this time the taxis are not on strike, so I am able to get a cab. I go for a long ride into the city, it is hot out, the driver never says a word to me at all.
Finally make our way to Hermes Hotel near the Plaka district of Athens, its a very historical area of the city.

I go to check into my room and I get a information sheet for out Contiki meeting this evening.  I have some spare time before meeting so I go for a walk in the area. As well I need to look for an ATM machine. I make it to this church which is under construction. I am confronted by this old greek guy who starts talking to me. He asks where I am from, I say Toronto, Canada.
He mentions he has a friend named Bill who lives there in this one bar. Asks me if I knew him.  He tells me to join him for a drink at a cafe across the street. I tell him no thanks, and walk away. I think it was a scam to get me to sit with him and then I would get left with the bill, funny.

Anyways, I find a ATM And get some money, enough for the trip probably. I make it back to hotel just in time for the meeting. I go to the meeting and first one in the room. Our tour leader is some guy named Thomas and is Australian. There are over 30 people on this trip, with Contiki, mostly girls.
After meeting we all good for dinner in the Plaka area, to this nice restaurant. We had live dancing going, the dancers were in traditional costumes. I sit at my table Chris and Alison from USA and Stewart from Australia. We drink lots of wine for dinner and the food was truly amazing. We then go with the group to a night club for a bit.  From here 4 of us split off and do our own thing, with Caroline from Canada and Chris and Alison. We go off to several pubs in the Plaka District. It is a funny evening, The girl Alison at one point lost one of her shoes in a bar, quite funny.
Anyhow at the end we go for eats at some little diner around 5am. A sandwich of some sort. Then took a taxi back to Hermes,hotel. Have a big day tomorrow. We start the cruise tomorrow, very exciting, stay tuned.

Style of Tour

Athens, Instanbul, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Patmos, Rhodes, Crete, Santorini

Starting in

Finishing in

1. Depart for Europe Day 1

Jet off to the trip of a lifetime awaiting you in Europe!

2. Arrive Athens Day 2 Hotel

After checking in to your hotel, the day is yours to take a sneak preview of Athens before meeting your Tour Representative and fellow travellers this evening at the hotel.

After your meeting, maybe join us in the traditional Plaka area for dinner - a great way to kick off your tour!

3. Athens and sail to Istanbul Day 3 Cruise ship

Enjoy Athens at leisure this morning and in the afternoon, board our cruise ship bound for Istanbul. (B,D,S)

4. Cruising to Istanbul Day 4 Cruise ship

Today enjoy the amenities of our cruise ship as we sail through the Dardanelles arriving in Istanbul in the early evening. (B,L,D,S)

5. Istanbul and the Bosphorus Day 5 Cruise ship

Explore this exciting city or shop in the Grand Bazaar where there are more than 4,000 shops.

Istanbul is a breathtaking sight where East meets West. Why not visit the Blue Mosque and the Topkapi Palace museum? We depart this evening for Mykonos. (B,L,D,S)

6. Cruising to Mykonos Day 6 Cruise ship

We arrive at the island of white-washed houses and blue domed churches. Enjoy the sunset over “Little Venice” and soak up the atmosphere before returning to the ship to sail for Patmos. (B,L,D,S)

7. Cruising to Kusadasi via Patmos Day 7 Cruise ship

We arrive at Patmos, where St. John is reputed to have written the book of Revelation. This afternoon we dock at Kusadasi. Choose to explore the bazaar or take an excursion to the ancient ruins of Ephesus. (B,L,D,S)

8. Cruising to Rhodes Day 8 Cruise ship

A day to explore this island, home to the Colossus of Rhodes.

Legend says it was over 30m (100ft.) high and straddled the harbour. (B,L,D,S)

9. Cruising to Santorini via Crete Day 9 Cruise ship

Drop by Crete, the largest of these Islands, en route to the quintessential Greek island, Santorini, world famous for its simple blue and white buildings, spectacular island sunsets, and breathtaking natural scenery. Climb twisting stone steps, ride a donkey or catch a cable car up to a cliff-top town, like Fira. Or boat ride out to the volcanic island, Nea Kameni. (B,L,D,S)

10. Arrival into Athens Day 10

After breakfast we disembark and transfer into central Athens where your tour ends. Maybe join us for a sightseeing tour of Athens seeing the Acropolis, the Temple of Zeus and the first modern Olympic stadium? (B)

Athens Hotels & Accommodations review
A Good Place to Stay Near the Plaka
Hermes Hotel 19 Apollonos Street, Athens 10557, Greece I stayed here as part of a tour with Contiki in June 2007. This was our first stay befor… read entire review
photo by: Johnpro