Day 5: Katakolon

Katakolon Travel Blog

Church in Katakolon
After another night on the Mediterranean Sea we made it to Katakolon. This is the harbor when cruise ship want to bring their guest near Ancient Olympia. We did a little shopping here after our crazy taxi trip to the ruins.

Quick story: We get off the ship and are still not sure if we're going to even go through the trouble to get to Ancient Olympia 31.9 km away. But there was a very nice American couple that wanted to go and didn't want to pay 70 Euros by themselves. We decided to car pool to split the cost. Well, here's the problem. There American couple, two people, and us, three, makes five total. Plus the driver of the "cab" they negotiated down, from 100 Euros to 70 Euros.  Hmmmm. "Cab" driver says, we'll fit. Of course meaning I will get a very uncomfortable, "seat".
Our ride to Olympia, 5 passengers + one driver = very uncomfortable "seat" for me
No, he did not stick me in the trunk, which now sounds like an acceptable alternative.

So this is a Fort Escord, or something similar. Dad got in the passenger seat and moved his seat up as far as he could. American couple then got in the back seat. They barely didn't need any room at all. Then Irene sat down next to them behind my dad. So there was a bit of room left right behind the seat, so I squatted in the floor space behind the passenger seat, with one butt check on the seat. Lovely.

I tried to make the best of it by chatting up the couple. They told me they were from North Carolina and the husband was retired military. Second couple I met during this cruise from NC and retired military. What are the odds of that. With my head facing the lady, because I didn't want to be rude, I managed to get myself car sick.
Harbor of Katakolon
When we finally arrived in Ancient Olympia, I was nauseous and my knees were like pudding from the uncomfortable ride. Anyways... I'll tell you about Olympia on the next entry.

BACK ON THE SHIP, it was gala night again. Our waiter Liberato told us that we should not miss the midnight buffet that night. So we went to the upper deck breakfast restaurant where the midnight buffet was held every night. We had not made it to the buffet before since we were fast asleep by the time it rolled around.

So they had all the fancy food arrangement built up today. There was sushi and even though I was still full from dinner I couldn't walk past the delicious bites without taking a few. People were very civilized. No one at anything until everyone had walked around once and got to take pictures of everything, but it was like someone had blown a whistle and people starting falling over the food like vultures.  *rolls eyes*

The deserts looked to die for but I resisted. With my stomach still sitting in the cab from earlier.
Church in Katakolon
Our ride to Olympia, 5 passengers …
Our ride to Olympia, 5 passengers…
One of the shops
Book cake
Book cake
Mmmmmm.. dessert
Mmmmmm.. dessert
Statue made of ?, FYI, it smelt pr…
Statue made of ?, FYI, it smelt p…
Ice sculpture