Mayan Ruins at Tikal

Tikal Travel Blog

The path through the jungle
So today Rusty and I took the rather early bus to Tikal to see the Mayan ruins. The journey was only about an hour and a quarter, but the bus was really old and uncomfortable. We hadn't eaten anything by the time we arrived in the park, so we went to buy our tickets and then went to have some breakfast in one of the local 'comedores'.

The ruins at Tikal are amid dense rainforest, so as you can imagine, it was really hot and humid, and within a few minutes of walking into the park, we were sticky and out of breath. This wasn't really helped by the steep incline up root covered paths, but the wildlife really made up for it. Apart from being feet away from loads of really interesting plants and trees, we saw loads of insects and even a monkey up a tree! These were the local 'howling monkeys' which we heard a lot of later, although I was convinced that one of the resident jaguars was loose in the park!

As it was still quite early, the park seemed completely deserted and it was rare that we bumped into people as we made our way around the site.
One of the first ruins that we saw
I discovered that i have vertigo when climbing one of the ruins, and that was only one of the small ones! The ruins were so impressive, especially those in the Grand Plaza, which is where we visited last, and was the main square at Tikal for over 1000 years.

After almost 4 hours of sight seeing, the heat was getting unbearable, and so we decided to head back to Flores, which is where we are now.

We´ve booked a bus to Lanquin for tomorrow morning, and from there we´ll hopefully be visiting the national park of Semuc Champey-but more about that another time.
The view from the top of Temple IV