Flores, Guatemala

Flores Travel Blog

Our hostel for the first night in Flores
No room at the inn again!!

By the time we arrived in Flores it was about 7pm and dark. Suprisingly our promised 3 and a half hour bus journey turned out to be nearer 5. Someone came onto the bus and told us that ´Los Amigos´was full but that we should go and have a look for ourselves. So Rusty and I unloaded our rucksacks and made our way to where we thought the hostel was. However, I didn´t anticipate that it had been torrentially downpouring earlier in Flores and I was wearing flip flops... I ended up on the floor in a puddle having slipped up with mud all over myself, my clothes and my bag (don´t worry James it will come off!). Now Rusty finally understood why I needed to bring 20 packs of tissues and 4 packets of wet wipes.
Rainy cloudy Flores
So now it was my time to sulk, so we decided to get a little tuk-tuk to take us up to the hostel, which, after all of that, was full.

The hostel kindly recommended us another, and the tuk-tuk man was more than happy to help us and bundled us back into the tuk-tuk with our bags. So we ended up in Don Goya the 2nd, which was a bit more pricey than the other one, but we got a really huge double room, with two double beds, a TV and an ensuite bathroom with a  shower with HOT WATER. That was very exciting!

We decided to head back to Los Amigos for dinner, as there was meant to be a good restaurant there. When we got there we found that we were able to reserve a room for the following night, which we did, as although much simpler, the hostel was about half the price of where we were staying! Dinner was good (all vegetarian food) and we tried some local beer which was actually rather nice. We headed back quite early as we had booked a transfer to the ruins at Tikal that was leaving our hostel at 7am!!
Our hostel for the first night in …
Our hostel for the first night in…
photo by: Deannimal