Caye Caulker

Caye Caulker Travel Blog

The local police station!
Wow! Caye Caulker is amazing. It is the most chilled out place that I have ever been. The island is tiny - it only takes about 10 minutes to walk from one end to the other. The 'roads' (of which there only seem to be about 2) are all sand, and there are no cars here. People drive old golf buggies around instead - it's so cool!

We got our ferry alright, and arrived on the island 45 minutes later at about quarter to five and it was still so hot, especially with our huge bags on our back! Unfortunately, the recommended guest house 'Tina's Backpackers' from my guidebook was full up (unless we wanted to share a sofa in someone else's room!) so we had to find somewhere else to stay. But in the end we found a lovely little guest house called 'Marliny's' just up the road where we managed to get a room with 2 double beds for half the price (BZ$32 - about 10 pounds).
Rusty enjoying his watermelon juice
We were so tired last night from jetlag, so went to have a really early supper after a look around the island. We found a cool restaurant which was doing barbequed stuff so we decided to go and eat there. It was all very basic, before you sat down you chose from the lobsters, snapper, prawns and chicken that they had on offer, and then they literally chucked it on the grill for you. We were so tired, that we went to sleep by 8.30pm!

Suprisingly after so much sleep, I was still asleep this morning when the alarm went off at 8.30am. But we got up and had some breakfast downstairs in the restaurant attached to our guest house before we decided to go and have a little look around the island. We found the most beautiful beachy thing up at the north end by the 'Split' which is where a channel was cut by Hurricane Hattie in the 60s.
After a couple of hours of swimming and sunbathing we went for a little walk and had some lunch. I got a couple of braids with beads in my hair to indulge my 'gap yarrrr' alter ego! haha. I also bought a really pretty little anklet from some local guy called Calvin. Everyone here is so friendly - little kids run up to say hello to you and wave and all the adults are really chatty (although most of the time this is because they want to sell you something). We're going to try and get some lobster tonight, as it's meant to be amazing. The island had it's 'lobsterfest' recently where they launch the start of the season.

The plan for tomorrow is to go on a day long boat trip up Northwards to the reef to go snorkelling and swimming and admire the wildlife! I think we'll be leaving the island on Sunday morning, taking the water taxi back to Belize City and then heading from there either to San Ignacio in Belize or straight onto Flores, our next destination, from where we'll be going to visit the Mayan ruins at Tikal.

I hope you're all well and having fun. Have a lovely weekend, I hope the weather's got a bit better for you. xx
bashmentbabe says: