Hôtel du Boeuf

Le Lude Travel Blog

a gauche s.v.p.

We are going to THIS castle, Le Château de Lude, a little more than 20 km away.

We cross Vaas, where an old watermill awaits visitors, maybe on the way back?

We come to Lude and follow the signs for Château. At the reception we get our tickets, a tour will start within 20 minutes, and to prepare ourselves, we get a printed version of the tour in Dutch. This is a privately owned castle, still inhabited by the duke and duchess and their children.

While we are waiting, a lady storms by, telling us to stand near a chain and that she will return soon (yes, this is our guide) We see her running up and down the entrance and then she comes near us.

The entrance is through this door
In superrapid French, she tells about the castle, how it was built, how it is renovated and then she asks us to cross the entrance bridge, please walk on the left????? (it is a stone bridge, closed to other traffic, we see no signs of wear and tear)

We follow her through the castle. She has a story in every room. The rooms have furniture of al kinds. The walls are decorated, the ceilings painted. There are pictures and portraits and paintings, it is all very nice. In every room she asks us to come to one side, then she needs to pass: ‘pardon, merci’ and at the end of every story she asks if we have questions. Sometimes I cannot understand her, but that is because she is telling something in English.

The trip stops in the old kitchen that is in the cellar. Here we may enter into the garden.

This was a nice Château, a nice tour, a bit hilarious by the French Superrapide, but brought to us by a totally dedicated guide! (and for all of you who are able to speak English: not everywhere in the world, people can learn and practice with other and better English speakers.

No photo's!! all I wanted was the flash in the crystal
Sometimes they have no other than their schoolmates.

The same goes for native English speakers with their French. How this happens I will tell you in a minute)

We take the shortest way back again, as it offers another road and view of the landscape. We cross Vaas again, and I want to visit the watermill.

When we arrive, a note learns us that the mill is open for groups all season, but for individuals only on Sundays:(

This is a pity. I have visited a watermill in Scotland and would have liked to compare technologies. This is typically an object for schools to visit. Next to the mill there is a piece of land with all different kinds of cereals.

It has been a fortress
(Barley is my favourite, as it is used for beer and whisky:)

In Chateau du Loir (another village near Marçon) we cross the E. Leclerc. This is really a Hyper Marché, it is so big. (but there are bigger markets still, you can’t buy cars in this one). Here they have the same small bedsheets, but another variety: 2 x 80 x 200. so we buy those (these are 2 sheets connected in the middle, but having the head and footpart free. Not what we expected, but a good solution) And I wanted to replace my good old Sony. In Paris I have seen an add for a camera, and In Holland I have looked around and was thinking of a Nikon, a Panasonic or a Fuji.

Here I decide to buy a Nikon Coolpix F18 (I have been playing around with it, and it is great fun) and from now on, my pictures will be made with this camera (as long as my daughter will not borrow! It)

In the evening we want to eat out in the only restaurant in town ‘Hotel du Boeuf’.

From the kitchen into the garden
Our neighbours say it opens half past seven, much to late for Duchmen:)

At 19:31h I try to open the door, it is stuck, so I help it with my foot, still stuck. The door bends and I think the root cause is the lock that is still on it. So we take a walk through the village and see the Epi Service (a tiny supermarket that used to be a Spar) the café/bar/tabac/seller of journals and the market square with its typical trees and under them a few couches***

We walk towards a little couch*** when we see a British Audi with a man and a woman in it coming towards us and stopping.

The window of the woman is open. She shows us a paper, and taps her finger on the address asks “Here?” (If this is the best French after 3 years of education, why should anybody learn English??) When we answer in English they are so relieved. We send them the right way (yes we are so nice). I know there is no such thing as coincidence!

At a quarter to eight, we enter the “Hotel du Boeuf”.

The tower is copied from Chambord
I haven’t seen anybody enter and yet there are people drinking at the bar??

This restaurant is clean, neat, has special decorating and the food is cheap and delicious!!!!!

The waiter is from Martinique, black, smiling, patient, understanding.

We order, he brings some snacks to start with (they are not on the menu, I asked their name, but forgot.) they are delicious, then the starter (forgot to take a picture so anxious was I to start) the main dish, so nice. He brings the card so we can choose our sweet.

Caroline wants ice, but I go for coffee. The ice is big and tastes great, the coffee is served with chocolate balls, so chocolately delicious. If I eat here twice a week I will end up more obese than the German father and son in Paris.

Market in Marçon, typical trees

When we pay we meet the cook, a lovely lady (we think the waiters mother.)

She is so pleased to know we liked it. He is so proud that we liked her food.

I promise him: “Je dirais a mes amis d’aller manger ici”, so I keep my word and give this to you all: when you are near Marçon, eat at “Hotel du Boeuf”!!

The entrance is through this door
No photos!! all I wanted was the …
No photo's!! all I wanted was the…
Hôtel du Boeuf, fresh colours
Hôtel du Boeuf, fresh colours
eat round to grow square, mjummy!!
eat round to grow square, mjummy!!
Buf
Buf
Chick
Chick
What did I say about round?
What did I say about round?
Le Lude