Bessé sur Braye

Besse-sur-Braye Travel Blog

a real castle

Caroline had made an appointment through the reception for the coiffeur. She has an appointment at 11:00 on the place de la Bastille in La Chartre. We park on the market, on one of the two free places. I always park back-in-first, so I can drive out, but my neighbour who is in a hurry that he barely lets me get out, parks so close that he himself can’t get out. I will spare you the discussions. He looks drunk to me, but to park like that without damage, ohlala. (I solve it by parking my car as far from him as possible, because the places next to us come available, as we talk)

I escort Caroline to the hair dresser, and go to the Tourist Information office to ask for castles to visit in the neighbourhood. “Oh, sir, these castles are not for visiting, they are private property, but you can go and visit this castle… oh and that castle too.

In La Chartre there must be a monument they call ‘the tower of Jeanne d’Arc'. We are of course in a region where it took the English one hundred years to loosing it, all because of this religiously insane girl. (we have visited the Jeanne d’Arc museum in Amiens on a previous trip!) We can drive past the tower, and we do, we don’t see it (we have our thoughts of where to find it but it is very hot, and to climb to a top of a hill makes us feel sweaty all at once) and take the shortest way home through a magnificent landscape.

In the afternoon, we decide to go and visit That castle (the castle is in Poncé s/l Loir)

The big sign says every day open, but another written notice says only on Saturdays and Sundays.

Joany is calling
You may guess which sign was correct?

My second choice, ‘Chateau de Courtainvaux’ in Bessé sur Braye, (I wrote its address down while walking around on the market in La Chartre.) is not from the tourist information. It is open and there is a tour in English (well the guide tries hard, and succeeds in telling his story. Very good for a guy who never had the opportunity to practice English in real life)

I take the shortest way back, and drive past the tower again. It has gone cloudy, it is not as warm as on mid day, so we decide to have a look.

It is a chapel for the fallen French in WW1 (Le Grand Guerre) built as a tower. A little clean-up inside is necessary and the list of names could do with some paint, but it is a good way to commemorate.

We see the lightning and hear the thunder, but we have only a few drops of rain.

Pan view of the castle
Pan view of the castle
Window blinds with mirrors! How gr…
Window blinds with mirrors! How g…
Chapel window outside