Thursday July 30th - Theme: Street Theater

Meppel Travel Blog

Street drawings

As today was my daughter's 7th birthday we didn't spend too much time in town but had a quick look around. First we went to the arts market where all sorts of people displayed (and sold) their paintings, jewellery, cards, pottery and more. There was also a blacksmith who demonstrated the making of his work. He was very friendly and offered to make Reagan and her friend Kirsten something as they were fascinated by what he did. He suggested we go for a walk and come back later so that is exactly what we did.

We stopped at an oliebollenkraam and bought an oliebol each. An oliebol literally translated is an oil ball and I know that sounds pretty disgusting but they are actually quite nice. Basically it's a blob of batter which is then fried in really hot oil.

Blacksmith
They come with raisins or sometimes apple, and for the people who like it they even have rum and raisin ones! You can then dip them in icing sugar and enjoy! There was some music being played in the square where the oliebollen were sold but we couldn't get a very good look, it was just too busy.

We then went on a train ride on "Bello", a train which now has wheels to go onto the road with. This brings you around part of town for 1,50 per person. It was a novelty for the kids but I can tell you really uncomfortable!

After that we decided to head home via the blacksmith. He had made some simple curly things for the kids, not spectacular (and I must say neither was the rest of his work) but the kids loved it! And that was the end of this Donderdag Meppeldag for us.

Music in the Wheem