Moro Rock

Sequoia National Park Travel Blog

Savings the Sequoias

After taking a few pictures in the area we headed back to the car and I took a picture of the sign leading out to Moro Rock.  It has been years since either my wife or I have tried to climb the 400 plus steps and near total 800 feet that takes you up about 300 feet.  Back in the 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps replaced a badly deteriorated wooden staircase with the granite and concrete combination that has lasted with a very few changes additions or repairs ever since.  In some places the trail is quite narrow as it leads between a natural split in the rock.

I asked my wife how she felt about trying to go up.  I’ll let you know that since we decided to go on first cruise later this year we have been doing a little more walking and exercise.  She said she’d five it a try, so off we went.  Slowly and with several stops along the way, so generously provided by the builders, we made our way up.  And suddenly we were at the top!  We made it! We actually made it. She looked at me and I looked at her and we gave each other a big hug.  Neither of us had expected to be able to go all the way up.  We took several pictures, talked with several other people who had made the climb and then made our way back down. Let me tell you that going down those 400 plus steps is much easier than going up.

Hummingbird says:
The last time I tried it, 25 yrs ago, I couldn't make it.
Posted on: Jul 09, 2009
mahoney says:
Heck of a climb isn't it? But well worth the effort!
Posted on: Jul 09, 2009
Climate Clues

So off we went, a nice casual drive from here up to Lake Kaweah, which is near full at this point in the year.  But it was fairly quiet up there, very few boats out on the water, and even fewer fishermen along the shore.  On up into the foothills and Three Rivers, where we stopped for a minute or two to see about a Mocha Freeze, something we have fallen in love with recently.  No luck, so we headed on up the hill.  The entrance to Sequoia is at about the 2,000 foot level and the temperature was the same there as it was in the valley that day, nearing 90 F.  I flashed my Golden Age Pass, boy has that saved us a ton over the last four years, and we started our drive into the park.

The drive up into the park from there is only about twenty miles, but takes nearly an hour because of the narrow, and very curvy two lane road built back in the 1920s.

Climate Clues 2
  Some curves say slow to 10 mph, and they are serious.  Switchback corners and narrowness keeps large RVs and trailers off of this road.  The small Sequoia Shuttle busses can make it fine because they are smaller than most busses but in the past I have seen larger vehicles wipe off each others rear view mirrors.

Most of the drive is up through the dry scrub brush and low bushes and trees.  But the farther up you get the bigger the trees get and the more ferns are seen along the floor of the forest.  Now the temperature also drops and as you drive deeper into the thick trees and ferns the air seems cleaner and much cooler.

As we pulled into the Giant Forest area where the Museum is located the temperature gauge read 75 degrees F.  So much nicer that the 95 of the valley.

We parked the car and took a stroll through the museum, which when I was a child was a grocery store.  Today, a Park Ranger answers questions; there is a gift area with souvenirs and several displays of how the huge trees have found a “circle of life” just right in this area.  The huge redwoods require a really specific set of circumstances to go from seed, early growth and finally into the huge stand of trees you find here.

Alpine Life Zone
Fires Friendly effects
Fire's Friendly effects
Making Seeds
Making Seeds
How hard it is to win big!
How hard it is to win big!
The different trees
The Giant Forest Museum
The Giant Forest Museum
One of the Sequoia Shuttles
One of the Sequoia Shuttles
Three giant sequoias across the st…
Three giant sequoias across the s…
The sign to Moro Rock
The sign to Moro Rock
Starting up
Starting up
The early views
The early views
Thats the Great Western Divide
Thats the Great Western Divide
Looking down at the road coming up.
Looking down at the road coming up.
Castle Rocks
Almost down.
Almost down.
Sequoia National Park Sights & Attractions review
A near 360 degree view of the Great Western Divide and Sequoia National Park
This is a giant piece of granite that juts from the surrounding ground and pokes its head into the heavens. Back in the early 1900s wooden steps were… read entire review
Sequoia National Park Sights & Attractions review
The Story of the Giant Sequoia Redwoods
Located at the Giant Forest area of Sequoia National Park nearly under the shadow of “The Sentinel” redwood tree is the Giant Forest Museum. This… read entire review
57 km (35 miles) traveled