Leaving home for a day

Visalia Travel Blog

The day after my birthday I decided it was a good day to get out of the valley and the warmth, and head somewhere cooler and nicer for the day.

I’d been thinking about it for several days but knowing that I would get so many good wishes, I kinda wanted to be around to answer them on the day itself.

So I kept thinking and trying to put my mind into some gear that would help make some sense, a nearly useless thing at my age and in my state.  If you have any doubt, just ask my wife.

I wasn’t thinking of making it a long multi-day vacation, just a single day, starting after breakfast, which for us sometimes is nearly noon.  Finally I came up with a plan.  Just east of us about one hour away is one of the countries prettiest areas, Sequoia National Park.  And after writing a review recently about the Shuttle Busses that now run up there and around the park every day I got the urge to go again.

We packed a small cooler with sodas, water and ice, grapes and some cheese and crackers and headed down to get gas in the car.  We didn’t really need it; our Toyota Prius gets over 40 miles per gallon, as always the windshield can use a good scrubbing.  You just can’t take good pictures through a dirty windshield.

photo by: Hummingbird