Stucco

Chunchucmil Travel Blog

Second day of excavation.  I think today went better, albeit slower.  I finished with the pit from yesterday without turning up anything of interest.  Emily and Lisa continued with their empty pit.  Although their pit didn't have many artifacts, they did find two separate floors of stucco.  I ended up working with Luis, one of Jose's sons, butcause Jose had to go into Merida.  he worked well in the pit, but things still went slowly.Around 9am we finished with the other pit and went to start a new one by a matate off the southwest corner of the large pyramid.  It seemed promising and we found a good amount of ceramic in the first level.  It got pretty dry after the first level, however.  I hope we find bedrock early tomorrow so that we can move to a new site.  I'm a little concerned about my ability (or lack thereof) of identifying artifacts.  Aside from ceramic and obsidian, I'm kind of lost.  It's even difficult to tell the stucco from the limestone.  Nothing like the sandy desert of Peru where even the blind could pick out the artifacts.
Chunchucmil