Take Off

Chunchucmil Travel Blog

My flight left Philly at 6am this morning, which left me with essentially no sleep at the start of this journey.  But, to my surprise, the flight to Cancun was pleasant dispite the questionable legitimacy of the airline.  I did realize that the plane wa almost exclusively Apple Vacationers who were all very excited to start their beach resort vacation.  Our flight attendants were obnoxious, forcing us to introduce ourselves to our seat mates and making sure we were ready to party.

Customs gave me trouble comin in and only allowed me thrity days in-country.  I made the mistake of using the word "trabajo" when explaining the reason for my stay and putting down a hotel in Merida instead of Cancun on my customs form.  However, he told me I just have to go to immigration in Merida to work it out.  I arrived early and the buses weren't running yet, so i had to pay $9.00 for a collectivo to the bus station.  I guess I got a deal though, because the others were asked to pay $18.00 at the door.  On the ride to the bus station, my driver was trying to teach me a little Maya.  I didn't retain a single word, but it was a nice effort.

The bus service was wonderful and quick.  It took about five hours to get to Merida.  The first class ticket cost me about $19.00.  I arrived in Merida at 3pm and Scott and another new girl, Emily, were there to meet me.  We ran a few errands and took off for Chunchucmil.  Along the way we stopped in Maxcanu to use the internet cafe.  The town reminds me a lot of Nazca, but a bit smaller.  We got caught in a terrential downpour waiting for Scott, weather that is a aparently a bit out of the ordinary for this time of the year.

We finally arrived at the site, which surrounds the road for a good deal of the drive.  The hacienda isright in the center of the town of Chunchucmil.  It is much larger than I expected.  There are actually many buildings, though most have their entrances blocked off.  the outside of our building has beautiful columns and high cealings.  It is relatively civilized, with 24 hour electricity and running water with indoor facilties.  At the site now are four Americans, Michelle, Shannon, Bill and Don; two Germans, Vanessa and Uta; and one Mexican, Rodrigo, who is leaving tomorrow.  A relatively small group.