Our 4 days in Koh Phangan

Koh Phangan Travel Blog

Our porch
We're staying on the beautiful islan of Koh Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand.  We have done tons of stuff in the last few days, so I'll condense everything for the sake of readability.

After our horrendous trip to the island, we got to settle in to our resort, which is a beautiful collection of bungalows around a remote bay that is 45 minutes from the nearest town.  There is a small "village" here, but I doubt you could qualify it as that. It is very beautiful and relaxing, however, after Bangkok prices, we've gotten a bit cheap and the 8 dollar dinners are shocking to us!!!  Our hut is one of the closest to the beach- you walk out our door and you're on the sand.
Green curry!!
  There's a cool restaurant and tons of thai massage huts on the beach (1 hour for 6 dollars- not bad!!!)

Our first full day, we went exploring.  The weather was still overcast from the previous day's storm, so there was no snorkeling to be had. We passed a restaurant in the village that had a learn to cook Thai sign out in front.  We asked about it and it was going to be about 20 bucks cheaper than the one we had previously booked in the island's main town.  After sampling the goods at lunch, we signed up.  After a quick thai massage, we returned and started our cooking class with Gan, and Corey a New Zealander (also a drummer, what a coincidence) completed our class.  We learned how to cook green curry, dry curry and chicken larb.  Jeff and I were both huge fans of green curry, but it was the two dishes that we had never heard of before that blew us away.
Yes, Jeff got to ride on its head!
  Dry curry is just a spicy curry paste that is not soupy, and larb is a laotian dish that I think would be great as the filling of lettuce wraps.  We'll have to have a dinner when we get home.   We ended up staying at the restaurant until late hanging out with the kiwi and his girlfriend, drinking beers and talking.

One of the other Thais who worked at the restaurant and who spoke good English was able to hook us up with another local who took us all around the island on the third day.  Our first stop was at an elephant trekking place, which was definitely touristy, but well worth it.  Jeff and I were able to ride on a mama elephant, with her baby following us.  It was really cute because the baby elephant definitely did not want to go on the trek, and kept stopping to eat something, check something out or roll around in the dirt.
Jeff snoozing on the beach
  About half way through the trek, the guide turns to Jeff and asks if he wants to ride on the elephant's head, and then promptly dismounts.  Jeff barely gets his legs around its neck and is perched up there like a pro.  Of course- right when we're on the elephant, our camera battery dies.  We're able to squeeze a couple of pictures more out before its gone for good, but what a missed opportunity!!!

At the elephant trek they also have a snake show, so of course Jeff is excited.  What ensued was insanity- thirty minutes of cobra boxing, putting a tame king cobra inside the guys mouth, kissing the top of a spitting cobra's head, and dancing with pythons.  Jeff was loving it, I was waiting for the guy to be rushed to the hospital!  But in the end Jeff got his picture with the snakes all around him, so he was extremely happy.
Leaving the island

Next up was snorkeling, on a beautiful beach with tons and tons and tons of coral and fish and sea slugs and shells etc.  We even saw a whole bunch of sea urchins and were tempted to pry them off and have fresh sea urchin sushi, but we thought better of that since that didn't have such a great result when we tried it in Alaska....  The water was very warm and crystal clear, so it was perfect snorkeling weather!

After a quick stop at the food market at the main town and a waterfall, we headed back to the village, exhausted!  We fell asleep at 9 last night, so we were up at 5:15 and watched the dawn on the beach.  Very romantic- huh!  Especially with all of the stray dogs following you around!!! :)

Tomorrow, we pack up and head on a boat (I have purchased dramamine, so I intend to knock myself out prior to boarding) to the larger island where we head back on a plane to Bangkok, and then to Japan.  It's already been a week, and it seems like ages since we left Denver, but its gone by so fast!!!
Transitory says:
Big smile for this, esp. b/c the only Thai dish I can make is green curry haha
Posted on: Jul 15, 2009
hannah-lou says:
Sounds great! I'll be there in 3 weeks and I cant wait im so excited!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2009
cbmunn says:
Whose child is that Jeff anyway? i think I should put Dr. Schiller on retainer for when you get back. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time other than the seasickness. Love you both and miss you.
Posted on: Jul 14, 2009
Leaving the island
Jeffs snake fix.  Thats a tame K…
Jeff's snake fix. That's a tame …
Mama and Baby Elephant!
Mama and Baby Elephant!
With a King Cobra inches from his …
With a King Cobra inches from his…
Cooking class!
Thai gas station
Thai gas station
Koh Phangan Hotels & Accommodations review
Four days at Baan Panburi
We stayed here for 4 days in July and I would definitely recommend it to those who want to go cheap, but not rough it completely. We were in a seavie… read entire review
Koh Phangan Sights & Attractions review
Cooking with Gan
Gan at the Bamboo Restaurant in Thong Nai Pan Noi does a nightly cooking class. You need to swing by the restaurant by 1:00 to sign up so that she kn… read entire review
Koh Phangan Sights & Attractions review
A day with Sorn
Sorn took us on a day trip around the island. Overall it was a good experience, and he seemed to warm up to us as the day went on. He seemed to be a… read entire review
Koh Phangan