25 Mars 2010

Lille Travel Blog

Stuck in Lille. Once again, John was right. I shouldn’t have even bothered trying to go to England. As he said, “In many ways they’re worse than us [Americans].

I couldn’t provide them an address on their stupid application, because I was gonna’ book a hotel once I got there. It went something like this…

INT. Lille, France Train Station – Day

British Customs Officer

Where do you plan on staying?

Me

I don’t know. I was gonna’ get there, choose the nearest hotel I find, and go with that one. I didn’t reserve a spot.

The man didn’t like my James Bond attitude of going up to a hotel and paying for a place on the spot.

British Customs Officer

So what is it you want to see in London?

Anything I can see. I’m traveling to see stuff

They apparently didn’t like my carefree attitude about traveling.

Me

What if I´d said “Big Ben”?

His serious complexion didn’t change one bit.

British Customs Officer

What do you have in the bag?

Clothes.

I point to where the shirts, underwear, and socks are held in each compartment.

British Customs Officer

You’re traveling for two weeks, and you only have about a week’s worth of clothes in your bag? You mean you don’t have enough clothes?!

Apparently, these guys haven’t heard of laundry service. Or an invention called alaundry machine.

British Customs Officer

You’re trying to come to London, and you don’t know what you want to see. You don’t have enough clothes. Don’t you see something wrong with this?

Me

So you’re saying there’s something wrong with traveling and seeing the world for the sake of traveling and seeing the world?

yes, there is.

Upon hearing this, I wanted to to just leave for another country and not even bother. Unfortunately, they held my passport, took my fingerprints, and basically sat there for 3 hours for them to deny me entry into their stupid island nation (stupid like fuckin’ Hawaii!). The French police then had to detain me and make a log entry, then they were like, “OK, you’re free to go!”. That doesn’t solve the fact that those tickets cost $226USD, and are non-refundable! So I said, “fuck it! I’m going to Germany then!”

To be honest, this really is a result of my “take it as it comes” attitude. I didn’t plan out what I’d see in London, didn’t book a hotel, and am unemployed. Apparently, the Brits like to plan out every single thing. “Ah yes! After tea-time, I will use the latrine 20 minutes after, where I will release about 20CCs of fecal matter, Any more, and I might clog the toilets. Any less, well, that just doesn’t match up with my plan, so I would have to eat some more as a contingency plan!”

But admittedly, the other officer noted that the US Immigration would give them Brits the same amount of hassle. Fair enough. However, I’m traveling outside America to get away from it for a reason, not to meet up with “America Minor Floating off the European Continent”. Yeah, that’s right, I went there. And if anyone believes otherwise, Tony Blaire sure makes my argument look pretty damn convincing!
Lille