1 if by land, 2 if by sea. I choose 1.5.

Port Townsend Travel Blog

Ferry from Port Townsend

Instead of driving back around Puget Sound on my way back to Seattle proper, I figured I'd cross back over to Seattle via ferry crossing.  Left Port Angeles shortly after 8 AM to let any morning rush (it was the day after Labor Day and the site warned about waits on workdays during standard morning "rush hour".  Reached Port Townsend about 20 minutes before scheduled departure of the ferry and while back in the line of cars waiting to board was informed that I would easily make the next departure.  The crossing to Whidbey Island took about 45 minutes (I think) and it was a pleasant trip.  The ferry had observation decks and a small concession stand if one wanted to eat, but I was going to try to find someplace on Whidbey Island to eat brunch.

Ferry from Clinton

Left the ferry, had brunch (don't remember where at this point), and headed south to the small town of Clinton at the sout end of the island for the second ferry back to the main land.  Same process as the first although I had a slightly longer wait since I didn't time this departure closely.  Wandered around the town of Clinton a bit, making sure I didn't get too far from the car in the line for getting on the ferry.  Boarded the ferry and a shorter trip than the first (about 20 minutes) brought me back to the mainland.

Note: There were other options that could have gotten me back on a single ferry either from a location other than Port Townsend or once I reached Whidbey Island I could have driven to the north end of the island which is connected to the mainland by a bridge.  But that would have required a 30-40 mile drive north and then another 60 mile drive south to get to where I went by a 30 mile drive south and then the ferry trip.  Since I wasn't in a hurry, I went for the two ferries.

Kramerdude says:
Thought about it but I decided to head into Seattle proper instead. I've seen some multi-day kayaking trips through the islands that I may think about doing when I'm back up that way though.
Posted on: May 06, 2007
vances says:
Did you get to drop in on the San Juan Islands? Got to visit them about twenty years ago and we took a seaplane that took off from a lake in downtown Seattle and landed at the dock of our accommodations - it was very cool!
Posted on: May 05, 2007