The Women's Party

Hama Travel Blog

I was stunned to walk into a sea of Muslim women with naked hair flowing, shoulders bared, cleavage pushed out of sequined dresses with faces heavily make-uped, dancing sinuosly to the beat of throbbing Arabic music.  Their dancing was sensuous and beautiful, hands rolling gracefully as their bodies follow the curving rythym of their undulating hips.  This confimed something that I have always felt that most men do not understand.  These women were stunning and beautiful and sexy, clearly not to attract a man, as there was not a single man present.  These women were dressed beautifully and danced sensuously not to attract attention, but because of the way it made them feel.  It was quite liberating to dance in this fashion in a room full of women without having to beat back the advances of men or worry that I was sending an invitation I had no intention of keeping.  I was instantly pulled onto the dance floor, once again welcomed with open arms by utter strangers.  I did my best to copy their sensual movements, but surprisingly I found that several women were looking at me, trying to copy MY movements!!  I was passed around the dance floor as women took my hand to dance with me and little girls clustered around me fascinated to have a foreigner in their midst.  Endless women came up to me to introduce themselves and it was a truely remarkable and unique evening.  When we left it seemed strange to put my long sleeved shirt back on and to watch the women don their black robes and head scarves and trade sequined high heels for black loafers.  In the end it made me realize that the somber facade of the Muslim women seen on the street hide their beauty and sensuality that is universal of all women of all cultures.

Stigen says:
i would have liked to see that party , when i went to the syrian wedding I was with the men (unfortunately)!
Posted on: Aug 16, 2009
HCSmooth66 says:
Great, great blog entries. I'll have to continue to read them as you go along.
Posted on: Jul 10, 2009
herman_munster says:
Great experience for you. Keep writing I'm following you.:)
Posted on: Jul 08, 2009