Dinner at Fara's

Hama Travel Blog

The next evening Fara's daughter met us at Marie's hotel and led us back to her mother's house.  Her mother is a doctor,as is her father, and the house seemed very well appointed, even in US standards.  We were served cherry juice and a dinner invitation was offered.  Soon more food than we could possibly eat was laid in front of us by Fara's daughter and son.  Plates of pasteries filled with meat, spinach and cheese, bowls of olives, pickles and tomatoes, soups, bread and cheeses.  I soon begin to realize that if I finished one dish of anything on my plate, more would be instantly offered.  After our bellies were full and I began slipping into a food coma, tea and coffee were brought out.  During dinner, Fara, Marie and I discussed the misunderstandings in perception between the West and the Middle East.  Fara seemed eager to leave us with an impression that the people of the Middle East are not part the common stereotype we are so used to hearing in the West.  We agreed as my experience in Syria has been nothing short of humbling as I am overwhelmed by the sheer generosity and friendliness of utter strangers.

She casually asked if we would be interested in attending a wedding, they were leaving in a few minutes.  Although I was quite eager to see this glimpse into the Muslim culture, I hesitated as my clothes seemed entirely too casual for a wedding.  Fara assured me otherwise and soon we were packed into the car with Fara, her sister, her baby boy, daughter and son.  On the way over it was explained that before the marriage takes place there is a men's party and a women's party.  Apparently at the men's party they eat, while at the women's they dance.  I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but what I stepped into I hadn't ever imagined....

Stigen says:
I LOOOOVe syrian food....mmmmmmmm
Posted on: Aug 16, 2009
vances says:
Wow, Deanna...what a tremendous learning adventure!
Posted on: Jul 07, 2009