The Citadel at Night

Hama Travel Blog

I haven't run into a lot of tourists in Syria, the ones that I do see tend to be in groups or pairs and not so interested in meeting someone new.  So after 5 or 6 days of talking to myself I was quite happy when a friendly Danish girl, Marie, also on her own, approached me on the street and asked if I would be interested in getting a coffee and perhaps a nargeli (water pipe).  We sat down for coffee, cards and discussions of our impressions of the Middle East and decided to walk up to the citadel where families picnic at night and children play in the park.  Shortly after we sat down a Muslim woman with her children joined us and we started a conversation in halting english.  Soon more women and children surrounded us and by the time we parted ways we had several new friends and an invitation to visit in one of the woman's home for the following evening.  Only minutes passed after the women departed before a young boy asked us to join his family picnicing in the park.  They were from Kuwait, also visiting, and we shared snacks, nargelis and cigarettes.  The family was quite friendly and we had some good laughs discussing our respective cultures.

Stigen says:
That`s the nice thing about Syria ! you meet people everywhere that welcomes you into their home without even knowing you. And if you dare to accept you will have an amazing experience worth blogging lots about !
Posted on: Aug 16, 2009