Pedestrian zone and baroque church

Munich Travel Blog

Frauenkirche

I walked down the Pedestrian Zone and I loved that there was such a long traffic free shopping zone.  So unlike back home.  First stop was the Frauenkirche - straight out of my middle school German textbooks!  I was so excited.  After years of practicing how to say "Das ist die Frauenkirche" I finally get to say it!  But there was nobody there to hear me.  The Frauenkirche rises above Munich with its twin domes that survived the bombing of WWII.  I didn't go in the church - and I can't remember now if it was closed or I just didn't bother to find a way in.  You can climb one of the towers but I wanted to climb a different tower so I could get this church in my photos.

I continued on to Marienplatz - where the Rathaus with its famous Glockenspiel sits.

Pedestrian Zone
   I climbed up the tower of St. Peters on Marienplatz so I could get some nice photos.  I also wanted to be up there on the hour so I could get a nice view of the Glockenspiel dance.  But I was confused because it didn't play - neither did St. Peter's chime.  Apparently in winter the Glockenspiel only runs at noon.  So I missed that.

A little disappointed, I descended and made my way to the Hofbrauhaus.  My sister was a huge fan and her boyfriend took over her sweatshirt so I decided to buy him his own Hofbrauhaus sweatshirt.  I popped in and found most of the tables full so I asked an older German-speaking couple if I could join them.  I'm glad I read that this is the common practice in Germany - seat yourself and join others when tables are full.

Glockenspiel on the Rathaus tower
  I ordered the sausage plater with three different types of sausages, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.  I watched some young Koreans at the table next to me try sauerkraut for the first time and it was hilarious!  Maybe they didn't know it was sour before they tried it?  My German couple also found it amusing.  We made some small talk - they didn't speak any English.  I realized I finally had the opportunity to use the restroom without hauling all my stuff in with me and losing my seat.  So I asked the couple if they could watch my bag for me.  I didn't quite conjugate the verb correctly, but they understood and kindly corrected me (and agreed).  I felt I could trust them.  So I finally got to use the restroom unencumbered.
Frauenkirche above the red roofs
  Yay!  During my meal there was also a polka band playing making it a more fun atmosphere.  After I ate and paid, I said goodbye to the German couple and bought the sweatshirt on my way out.

My final stop was the Asam Kirche, a few blocks off Marienplatz.  My uncle said it was a great example of a Baroque Church and after the beautiful church in Zwiefalten I was eager to see another.  Boy was I disappointed!  The church had metal bars at the entrance so I could only look in from the entry.  The church was so gaudy - full of intricate gold details, marble pillars, more gold statues, paintings, more gold figurines and some neon lights with the light reflecting off the gold.  It was sensory overload.  It was not the nice clean, pretty church from Zwiefalten.  It was too much.  I took a few photos and wondered if my uncle really thought this church was beautiful and left.  Maybe it looks better during the day.

Munich Rathaus
Munich Rathaus
Twin domes
Twin domes
Rathaus Plaza (I know, not the rig…
Rathaus Plaza (I know, not the ri…
Hofbrauhaus band